Unit 31 - Conflict with a colleague

Options
steveJ
steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hello everyone,

im trying to think of possible examples which may have resulted in a conflict with a colleague and how it was resolved. My brain has gone completely dead !! Ive never had conflicts in any work place ...

Any ideas ?

Comments

• mge
    mge Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hi steveJ. One example would be in the creation of a Provision for Doubtful Debts.

You want to use a figure of 5% of all debts over six months.
    A colleague wants to use a figure of 3% of the whole debtor balance.
  • steveJ
    Options
    But how would you go about resolving this issue?

I understand that you would both explain each others reasons to see if their was any way of agreeing, but what if you cant make an agreement? Go to the boss?
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    steveJ wrote: ยป
    Hello everyone,

im trying to think of possible examples which may have resulted in a conflict with a colleague and how it was resolved. My brain has gone completely dead !! Ive never had conflicts in any work place ...

Any ideas ?

1. booking holidays at the same time (first come first serve?)
    2 fancing a same work mate and competing with each other! (high maintenece, show better spending power)
    3 work given to your colleague which you would have liked to work on (become boss's pet)
    4 differesnce in pay for the same work (difficult in current economic climate, but change job)
    5 colleague gets aways for lack of time keepping/punchtuality/attendence etc (same as 3 above)

etc......
  • mge
    mge Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    steveJ wrote: ยป
    But how would you go about resolving this issue?

I understand that you would both explain each others reasons to see if their was any way of agreeing, but what if you cant make an agreement? Go to the boss?

Yes, one option could be to get the opinion of somebody in higher authority.

Or if you are in a position of seniority over your colleague you could eventually overrule them, providing that you have each explained your reasoning to one another in a considered manner and there has still been no resolution.

However, it would be unethical to overrule them without first listening to their reasoning, or without explaining your reasoning. It would also be unethical to overrule them in an aggressive manner.
  • steveJ
    Options
    Thats great. Kicked me into gear a litle bit. Dont think ill be using the "fancying same work mate" example - although excellent advice (possibly from personal experience?)
Privacy Policy