Any Nightmare Journeys?

Yazi
Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Out nightmare journey was yesterday...

84 miles in 5 hours.
Southampton to Bexhill.
The bit that took the longest was from Worthing to Bexhill = 42 miles = 3 and a half hours.

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    well a week last thursday i travelled 240 miles up north 230 was fine and took 3.5 hours however the final ten miles took 5 hours firstly the bus driver had ran over his alloted time so had to stop and we had to get off the bus well then the next bus turned and broke down so the first bus let us sit on his to keep warm (snow in part was almost to waste hight) then we got stuck behind a gritter then why is it when you want to get home the bus has to stop at every single stop and in ten mile that is a hell of a lot of stops.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    My nightmare journey is about to come!

Got to try and get into work this morning as we're going to get more snow and I've got limited company accounts due in by the end of the month which are still unsigned.

I think I'm going to end up filing them to Co House online using their dreaded template!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    well a week last thursday i travelled 240 miles up north 230 was fine and took 3.5 hours however the final ten miles took 5 hours firstly the bus driver had ran over his alloted time so had to stop and we had to get off the bus well then the next bus turned and broke down so the first bus let us sit on his to keep warm (snow in part was almost to waste hight) then we got stuck behind a gritter then why is it when you want to get home the bus has to stop at every single stop and in ten mile that is a hell of a lot of stops.

o and i plan to do the same trip this thursday "prey for me" :lol:
  • truecockney
    truecockney Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    Yep. Last friday (and that was before the snow came in my area!).

Usually travel is easy (even in snow) but this took the biscuit. 13 miles in 2.5 hours on public transport, with the first 3 miles taking 70 minutes... combination of walking and train! 40 minutes stuck between stations + ticky tummy + no train gents = not fun!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    we travelled from bielefeld to great yarmouth on friday/saturday - it was all ok, until we reached the acle straight (primble will back me up here) it took us longer to get from norwich to great yarmouth than it did from harwich to norwich.

driving back on the 27th so hopefully it might be a bit better. we do have winter tyres on our car and i do believe it makes such a difference, whilst the inside lane was slow, we were in the ouside lane doing the normal speed (well nearly) as the tread is deeper and gives you a bit more traction

tracy
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Two weeks ago today, 22 miles in 5 hours. First 100 yards took an hour and half. Next stretch from Blantyre to East Kilbride took 3 hours
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    taskey wrote: ยป
    we travelled from bielefeld to great yarmouth on friday/saturday - it was all ok, until we reached the acle straight (primble will back me up here) it took us longer to get from norwich to great yarmouth than it did from harwich to norwich.

driving back on the 27th so hopefully it might be a bit better. we do have winter tyres on our car and i do believe it makes such a difference, whilst the inside lane was slow, we were in the ouside lane doing the normal speed (well nearly) as the tread is deeper and gives you a bit more traction

tracy

Dont speak to me about Snow Tyres. I ordered them four weeks ago and was told they would be here within 1 week. The snow came and the delay was blamed on that. Been phoning every couple of days and was "promised" they would definitely be in for fitting today. Phoned this morning and the guy that was dealing with it is off sick and there is no record of my order and now they cant get them till the end of January. Tried every other place around and noone has them!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Damn we're looking for winter tyres too
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    East Wiltshire here. Touch wood all ok so far, Landrover with AT Tyres is doing fine. Rear wheel drive BMW is mostly staying at home...! Supposed to be going to my parents for xmas dinner, but will depend on the roads here and there, it's 90 miles away.

Sorry to hear some of you are having a tough time of it. That's rubbish on the winter tyres front.

Stay safe everyone
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    My bus driver son let some air out of the tyres on my C1 & it's been great (has cost plenty in petrol consumption though!)
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    taskey wrote: ยป

tracy

the acle straight is indeed a nightmare road. we have a guy that lives in yarmouth and he gets held up most mornings these days going to work in wymondham. did you hear about the a47 on the news this morning. it took somone an hour and half to get to wymondham from norwich this morning as the a47 got closed and everyone was diverted through norwich. luckly i got through before all that.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Not been any snow here for a while but the roads are insainly icy. Never seen so many cars spinning their wheels.

[smug mode]This is the time of year it pays off having a 4x4[/smug mode]
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Sat 18th Dec....11 hours to get from Bristol to North Wales.
    I knew it would be a bit long and told my son it would be ok after Birmingham but little did i know it would take 9 hours to get to Brum....lol
    7 hours to get from J5-J4 on the M5= one huge snowball fight on the motorway :-)
    I was prepared so we had lots of blankets, hot choc and food. M5 was one huge car park!!!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Well we are all home safe and sound. 3 foot of snow where we are though and have had to dig a space for the car to be parked. the icicles hanging from our house are amazing and it is peaking at -11 today brrrr

Tracy
  • A-Vic
    Well i can say am finally home after move today fab christmas no nightmsre journeys and just unpacking to do tomorrow.

Hope you all had a good christmas and all the best for the new year xx
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Well i can say am finally home after move today fab christmas no nightmsre journeys and just unpacking to do tomorrow.

Glad it all went okay and you moved!

Hope everyone else had a lovely christmas too and all the best for the new year!

I just got back home from the visit to my parents. Our flight in only had 20 minutes delay, where we expected loads more and on the way back we had an hour delay, where we didn't expect any!

Now just unpacking left and lots of laundry today and then tomorrow is going to be a busy day again, but then the rest of the weekend is free!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜

*thumbs up!* (btw we need a smile for that!)

we had a nightmare journey to get to Spain

We left for the airport on wednesday 22nd at 6am, due to snow there were plenty of delays in luton so our plane was delayed to show us the gate for half an hour and then when they were finally were boarding us we had to wait inside the plane for 2 & half hours waiting for the de-icers that meant we had a delayed of 3 hours which meant we missed the train from Barcelona to Valencia and there were no more trains until monday 27th! so we had to stay overnight in Barcelona and take the bus the next day at 10am ....after 5 hours on the bus we finally made it home on thursday 2rd at pm....so a looooooooooooooooooooong ourney indeed!

Hopefully the flights to ireland will be alright tomorrow
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Yazi wrote: ยป
    The bit that took the longest was from Worthing to Bexhill = 42 miles = 3 and a half hours.

Blimey Yazi, you passed within about a mile from me!

The A27's a bit of a shocker at times, isn't it? The only proper route running along the south-east coast and we have to put up with the million roundabouts at Chichester and the single lane bottle necks through Arundel and Worthing.
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Robert

I always think of you when I go through Worthing!!!

23 roundabouts from Bexhill to Southampton on the last count.
    About 10 of them are around Chichester.
    Have dont the jouney in 1hour 45 best time but this was def the worst.

Why did son number one move there? Why couldnt he have stayed in nice Bexhill?
Privacy Policy