Distance studying

sampson
sampson Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi All

Does anyone have any recomendations as to who is the best provider of distance studying for the AAT level 4. Im currently studying the level 3 at a local college in the evenings, but thinking of changing in September.

Thanks

Comments

• Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi i was the same as you, studied AAT Level 3 at college. I am now studying from home with Kaplan which i would recommend. No problems with them so far! Good luck!
  • sampson
    Thanks for the response. Kaplan do seem like a professional outfit, even though they are a little pricey. Do you have to pay for exam fees? And do you go to your local Kaplan centre to take exams?

I'm not too happy at my current college as I have a very uninspiring tutor and have realised that I learn faster studying autonomous.

Ideally I'd like to study the acca by distance learning after I have finished the aat.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    sampson wrote: »
    Hi All

Does anyone have any recomendations as to who is the best provider of distance studying for the AAT level 4. Im currently studying the level 3 at a local college in the evenings, but thinking of changing in September.

Thanks

I'd stick with college given the choice.
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thanks for the response. Kaplan do seem like a professional outfit, even though they are a little pricey. Do you have to pay for exam fees? And do you go to your local Kaplan centre to take exams?

I'm not too happy at my current college as I have a very uninspiring tutor and have realised that I learn faster studying autonomous.

Ideally I'd like to study the acca by distance learning after I have finished the aat.

I am doing a unit at a time as it fits around my family. Yes you pay extra for exams which is £35 and sit it at your nearest Kaplan centre.

If your disciplined enough then study from home. I try to do some most evenings and just want to get it all finished, hopefully this year!! I am sitting my first exam next week.

Everyone is different so its what is best for you.
  • sampson
    PGM wrote: »
    I'd stick with college given the choice.

Any particular reason why?
  • PGM
    Any particular reason why?

Contact with a tutor instead of trying to figure things out yourself.

And its regular study, theres no I'll put it off until tomorrow.

And and, they make the material more interesting (if they are good tutors), relating to real stories rather than the dryer content of books, which are also padded out with waffle that a tutor knows to breeze over.
  • sampson
    Becky, I have a Kaplan centre close to me, so sitting exams wont be a problem, I can see how the exam fees will add up though.

I'm very motivated once I actually get going, but as with most people Its just setting the time to study. I have been getting more and more organised as Ive progress through the course, so I'll probably be ready to do this next year if the price etc all work out for me. It should also give me good a good foundation to build upon for distance learning with my acca course.
  • sampson
    Contact with a tutor instead of trying to figure things out yourself.

And its regular study, theres no I'll put it off until tomorrow.

And and, they make the material more interesting (if they are good tutors), relating to real stories rather than the dryer content of books, which are also padded out with waffle that a tutor knows to breeze over.

Good points, I see where you're coming from. My previous and current tutors have left me a little frustrated and uninspired by the whole community college route, they tend to go through subjects too slow 90% of the time, which makes me feel like Im wasting my time. The other problem with studying at college in the evenings is doing a days work then commuting there in the evening and not being in the right frame of mind to study once you actually get there.

Decisions, decisions.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Contact with a tutor instead of trying to figure things out yourself

Well to be fair, if you choose the right distance learning provider you'll still get contact with a tutor and you'll have contact with them all through the week and not just once a week when you attend college. Imagine, you're studying at the weekend on your own and you don't understand something. If you're at college you have to wait until you next go in before you can discuss it with your tutor. If you're a distance learner you can e mail your tutor there and then - with the right training provider you may get a response the same day. Not saying all of them will reply on a weekend but some will.
  • PGM
    coojee wrote: »
    Well to be fair, if you choose the right distance learning provider you'll still get contact with a tutor and you'll have contact with them all through the week and not just once a week when you attend college. Imagine, you're studying at the weekend on your own and you don't understand something. If you're at college you have to wait until you next go in before you can discuss it with your tutor. If you're a distance learner you can e mail your tutor there and then - with the right training provider you may get a response the same day. Not saying all of them will reply on a weekend but some will.

thats true, although I have had email support while a college
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    I used Kaplan for Level 3 and Unit 8/9 of Unit 4 but swapped to Eagle for the rest of Unit 4 as I found Kaplan too slow to come back with replies for study questions. I find Eagle a lot better
Privacy Policy