Interview this afternoon

kristina1980
kristina1980 Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello everyone,
I have a job interview this afternoon for an Accounts administrator post. What I wondered is as with many posts they have not put down a salary so what sort of salary is reasonable. they have put good rates of pay for the right candiate.

I am unemployed at the moment due to reduancy so I need a job asap. I interviewed before christmas for another post and they offered £16,000 full time. i didnt get it as i didnt have work based sage experience and another candiate had a medical background.

I am AAT level 4 qualified. Does anyone else think that employers are taking advantage of the current job market/resession in order to offer lower salaries.

I would be greatful for any advice xxxxxx

Comments

• Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Kristina

I think employers probably are taking advantage of the current job market, they are in business after all and need to cut costs.

What you need to consider, is what is a reasonable salary to you and weigh this against no job at all!

Let your personality shine through as well as your qualifications. I read somewhere that you should also show a prospective employer what you can offer them, rather what they can offer you.

Well done in getting an interview, and I'm sure we all wish you good luck.
  • kristina1980
    thanks Jan,
    been loooking for a job since november and at last the market is stating to pick up. applied for six jobs this week and there was none before christmas!
    I'm not being ungreaful but also dont want to be taken advantage of, after all I have studied hard to get to here.
    xxx
  • kristina1980
    hiya,
    the salary is between £15,000-16,500 for a full time position 8.00-4.30. i would be greatful for everyones opionion.
  • GinnyBee
    GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    hiya,
    the salary is between £15,000-16,500 for a full time position 8.00-4.30. i would be greatful for everyones opionion.

Which part of the country are you in? That salary might be okay where I am (Cumbria) but not so good say in London. Also do you have any accounts experience as well as your AAT? If you don't have the experience you will probably find yourself at the lower end of the scale.

Remember though it is a relevant job so part of its appeal is getting experience! You can always move to better paid positions later when you do have the reuired experience.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    hiya,

They must have liked your application and the fact your studying AAT is a big plus, but as someone has already said its a buyers market at the mo so getting your foot in the door and gaining experience it worth it alone.

The best of luck and let us know how you got on :)
  • kristina1980
    thanks guys.
    I didnt get the job. they said I had everything they wanted but someone had slightly more experience then me. (im getting this alot!) just keep applying I suppose.
    I have no sage experience which seems to be holding me back. I wondered if anyone had done the sage 50 text book training as i am considering doing it .
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Sorry to hear you didn't get the job - chin up & as you say, keep applying - you are getting interviews so you are getting nearer than some.

I taught myself Sage using the work books, altough I was in a work situation at the time.( I was the only one working in accounts, so there was no-one else to train me). I had been using a package nobody had heard of (Accpac anybody?). It stood me in good stead as the next job I got needed someone who could use Sage. Sage seems to be widely used by smaller firms, so it would be useful if you already know how to use the program.

Good luck in your search. BTW, would you have accepted the salary offered?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Sorry to hear about the job but as i say you never loose when going to an interview - an idea might be is to pop to your local librury and pick up a sage book and try to teach yourself the basics and try to enrol yourself on an computerised accounts course (one i did was only six weeks) check out your local college see if they offer these.

You shouldnt be downhearted it sounds to me they had a hard time choosing. All the best in your hunt. :)
  • kristina1980
    Jan, yes I would have taken the salary offered as it is a fairish wage for the area i live which is hastings, east sussex.
    Thanks for all the kind words guys, it does get quite depressing at times but all I can do is keep trying!
    Again, thanks xxxxxxxx
Privacy Policy