VAT on line

Options
Rachel
Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have called HMRC to get a effective date of registration from them. Fine all sorted (wish there was an easier way for just a date) anyway they told me that as my client was registered himself that I would be able to add him. Anyway, the on line was submitted and I am waiting for the activation code.

I was just wondering whether this was true? Can the client and the agent not both be registered? For self assessment I am certain that my clients are registered and I am.

Sorry if non of that made sense

Rachel

Comments

• Psyche
    Psyche Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Not sure I do understand! I think what you are asking is, can you be a registered (online) agent for someone who is themselves registered to access VAT online? If that's the question I don't see why not. Both the client and the agent might have to access their own VAT online.
  • Rachel
    Options
    Yes that is the question. I thought it was fine but HMRC told me you couldn't but the online authorisation has issued a code
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Don't rely on anything HMRC tell you :lol:

I know you can do it for self assessment. I see no reason why it doesn't work for other taxes. But then, why did HMRC need a reason to do anything?!!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Agreed the answer is yes you just have to do the normal process and apply of authorisation - we took over a clients vat on-line (used to file it themselves) and just did the usual received the code and filed as we did with clients before however be sure you have an upto date 64-8 in place with their vat reg ect
  • Rachel
    Options
    ThankS, crazy world of HMRC
Privacy Policy