Really need some advice....

amyjayne27
amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi all, am hoping you can give me a bit of advice.

I am currently studying level 3 via distance learning and through the old standards at the moment. I started last April, and due to a full time job and other commitments I have only completed 2 units to date!
I really don't know whether to carry on or not, I know I would be so much more suited to attending classes, I just cannot find the motivation anymore to do it after work in the evenings.
Would I lose all of my money if I decided not to carry on via distance learning? Im with Premier Training by the way.

Any help at all would be so useful right now. Many thanks,

Amy

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Amy

well done for getting this far i cant see why you cant carry on and get as much done under old standards then transfer your gained units over to the new standards.

If you use this link it will tell you what you need to do if you transfer to the new with your units already gained :-

http://www.bpp.com/courses/examination-courses/accounting--finance/aat/aat-new-standards/aat-2010-interactive-guide.aspx
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Also bear in mind you have till june to complete under old standards that gives you 5 months
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I am in the same boat - full time employment just takes it out of you and motivation is an issue.

What 2 have you done as I have only done ECR exam - I on diploma. I have been informed by my tutor that professional ethics isn't recognised under the new standards so I am thinking about just sacraficing it as if thats not completed by june then I transfer over and dont take that with me lol.

Any advice needed please get in touch! :)

Martin
  • amyjayne27
    Hi all,

I have done unit 5 FRA and unit 32 Professional Ethics. Its so annoying that Professional Ethics isnt recognised on the new standards, and I'm also really dissapointed that the Sage program isnt on the new standards. I either have to send the unused Sage package back or pay ยฃ100!
    I think we only have until April as it takes them a good few weeks to get everything marked before the change over so theres no way I will get it all done, Im also going away for a month on the 11th feb.

I just have no motivation at all to do it now, I wish more than anything I could attend the classes instead and have a real life tutor and hands on help. How are other people getting along that work full time and have to fit it in? Am I just being lazy?!

Thanks, Amy
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi AmyJanye27,

I am on the diploma route and I have completed the FRA & ECR exams and have just finished the Cash Management Skills Test yesterday. I am doing these, plus Indirect Tax & Spreadsheets. I used the transition guide on the BPP website to determine which I had left to do if I switched to new standards or stayed on old way. I decided it was better to go for the new standards. (The guide thing lets you input what you've done then shows you what needs to be done depending on whether you go onto new route or stick with old.)

I am also home study and although I work full time and have quite a bit to do at home, I do manage to squeeze in some time for revision most evenings. I too find motivating myself quite difficult some days, but if it's what you really want then that kind of gets you going. I think I prefer doing home study, than going to classes, although I have never tried any classes so can't compare.

If you really want it, you can do it, don't give up, would be ashame to lose whatyou already have. You're not being lazy, we all have trouble with get-up-and-go at times!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Becca x
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Studying while working full time is hard. Especially when you are a distance learner and have to motivate yourself!

I work full time and have a commute which means I get home at 7. My routine for my study days are to have dinner and chill out until 8 then study. I normally study until about 9 or 9.30ish.

At the weekend I try and get a few hours in each day (I work better doing 1-2 hours then having a break then another 1-2 hours rather then just studying for a massive block).
  • amyjayne27
    Hi all, thanks so much for your replies.

I just feel like I am a failure at the moment, I never dreamt it would take me this long just to get this far! Really am going to try and motivate myself now though, as you all said it would be a waste to just throw away my money and what I have done so far.

Did anyone else find ECR Unit 6 really hard?

Thanks for all your support, and good luck to everyone else.

Amy
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Yes, I found this unit extremely difficult. I think it's just learning all the different calculations/equations. But I also found that there's lots of help on here, so look back through all the threads and ask some Q's, happy to help if I can.

Happy Revision!! xxx
  • amyjayne27
    Thanks Becca,

That's really helpful. I just feel so annoyed that I have put so much time into Professional Ethics not being told that we wouldn't be counted on the new standards so I have wasted so much time!

I am getting stuck on Methods of costing a little bit, but stumbling my way through the book!

Thanks for your replies,

Amy
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    look for any posts by sandy hood, he is the guru on that uint

Tracy
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi all, thanks so much for your replies.

I just feel like I am a failure at the moment, I never dreamt it would take me this long just to get this far! Really am going to try and motivate myself now though, as you all said it would be a waste to just throw away my money and what I have done so far.

Did anyone else find ECR Unit 6 really hard?

Thanks for all your support, and good luck to everyone else.

Amy

Don't feel like a failure, I probably beat all records for how long it takes to finish AAT qualification.

I started in 1998 under the 1997 standards, sat unit 5 exam, skills tests for same and VAT returns and got exemptions for H&S and IT.

Then started a new job with long commute and crazy hours, stopped studying altogether and then restarted in 2007/8 resulting in having to start intermediate level all over again.

I completed intermediate level in 2009, hopefully all going well with my DFS results next month and getting Cash management and Audit assessments finished I will finally qualify this year.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Amy, don't feel like a failure. I'm in the same position, I have just sat Professional Ethics after putting up off for months and wasting logs of time. Found it so dull and dry that I struggled to complete it. Fingers crossed I didn't muck up the sim too much. I am currently on Unit 6 and finding it much easier than Pro. Ethics.

My understanding was I could finish level 3 under the old standards and then start level 4 under the new ones. Or transfer cash management, and financial reports which I have completed, that would leave me unit 6, professional ethics and spreadsheets? to do under the new standards, either way you would still need to sit Ethics so you haven't wasted your time.

Don't feel like a failure, you have got this far which is a huge achievement as well as working full time
  • Budgie
    Budgie Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi Amy, you're not a failure and you're not lazy! The fact that you've posted about this shows your concern about your studies. I'll echo what the others here have said and say well done for what you've achieved so far.

I'm doing the Level 3 under the old standards by distance learning and also have only done Units 5 and 32, so I'm in a similar boat to you. Apart from I'm not working at the moment and have to do the level 2 Unit 31 as well, sitting that shortly.

Yes I've found it hard by distance learning too. Don't give up on it, you're as well just getting stuck in and remember it's not forever. Give it your best shot in the time you have and then look at what you end up with in June. Just focus on one thing at a time - don't get bogged down with what-ifs. Hope you do well and that you enjoyed your trip!
Privacy Policy