Incomplete Records

Options
Haggis
Haggis Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi, I would be grateful for some advice with a query I have with my client who is not good at keeping all of his paperwork. I have completed one years tax return and am now starting the next year. I have now come across a statement for some expenses that relate to the previous year which due to never having received the original invoices I knew nothing about. The amounts are not huge and obviously my return that I have just completed will be missing this expenditure but I am wondering how to deal with this. (the payment for these items was made in the April of the following year) I use Solar accounts and am wondering how to deal with this expenditure. Any help would be appreciated, many thanks

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    If it's of an immaterial amount, I'd date it in the first month of the current year and include it then.

If was material then I'd amend the prior return.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks Monsoon, just wanted another opinion, I will definitely be doing a double check with him so hopefully it doesn't happen again. Does everyone have this kind of client - late, difficult to track down, missing paperwork etc !
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Yes, we all have at least one, and usually quite a few! It's just part of general practice :)
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    You can say that again!!
Privacy Policy