Allowable expenditure for a model

zephyr
zephyr Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
I have just taken on a model, as a client, does anyone have experience of this industry?

Are there any unknown expenses that mey be claimed? She insist that other models are allowed to claim clothes, beauty products, treatments. I believe these would be difficult to prove under wholly exclusive.

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    zephyr wrote: »
    I have just taken on a model, as a client, does anyone have experience of this industry?

Are there any unknown expenses that mey be claimed? She insist that other models are allowed to claim clothes, beauty products, treatments. I believe these would be difficult to prove under wholly exclusive.

I'd spend a lot of time with the client, to make sure I understood the industry....

Anyway, I'd think beauty products would be allowable, I'm assuming a lot of expensive stuff is used, and as beauty is the product I'd say its wholly exclusive!

I was going to say no for clothes, and there probably not allowable, unless used for photo shoots and photos then used to get work?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    There are allowances for models and performers.

Have a root through the HMRC Manuals, there is lots of info in there.
  • Chinless Wonder
    Chinless Wonder Registered Posts: 61 Regular contributor ⭐
    As well as being a MIP I'm also a professional performer on a part-time basis (but not a model, don't get too excited - it's the lack of chin, you see). Equity provide a very good guide to tax which makes for interesting reading (from the "client" side rather than HMRC). Drop me PM if you want me to send you it.

AFAIK performers can claim for costumes, make up and wigs that are necessary for their parts; the Equity guide also states that clothes bought for auditioning can be claimed for. Applying this thinking would mean clothes for shoots could be claimed.

The thing about models and performers of that type (Equity considers models as performers for membership purposes) is that, while special clothes, make up and hair are necessary for shoots/ auditions/ gigs, they are also used outside of those activities to maintain the model's appearance which is a key part of their profession. Would Kate Moss take off all her make up and put on a scruffy pair of jeans from BHS to travel home for a shoot? No. She has a professional reputation to maintain. In my opinion these costs should be claimable. But that's just my opinion!
Privacy Policy