Claim for unpaid dividends

Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I've looked this up and can't find the answer.

Company ceases trading with only two creditors - two directors loan accounts, represented by dividends legally declared but unpaid. The dividends never get paid.

What loss relief, if any, is available?

Having read the manuals, for tax purposes if a dividend is properly declared then it's a dividend, and occurs at the point at which the funds are made 'available' to the shareholder i.e. a credit to the DLA.

It's a directors loan account that will be written off but it's not a loan that's been written off so this doesn't apply.

I can't find anything to say how you treat a dividend when you've got the voucher, but you never received the money.

This doesn't seem to help either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I've just found this:
    If the dividend is an interim dividend it is taxable only as and when paid. So an interim dividend declared payable by authority of the directors in December 2004 is not taxable until it is actually paid, even if the resolution said it was payable on a given date.

The dividends in question are interim. So does the consolidated voucher after year end only state those interim divs paid, and exclude the ones unpaid? That would seem to make sense and be simplest!
Privacy Policy