Informal Interview

Lee
Lee Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi guys, just a quick one. A week ago, I went for an interview for an Accounts Assistant Job. I was not successful. However, according to the agency that sent me to the company, they got a very positive feedback about my interview performance. Unfortunately an internal candidate got the job at the end.

The agency have called me again today to say the same company has another position of credit controller and if I am interested the hiring manager is happy to have an informal chat with me tomorrow. I am not happy about the salary as it's below the average credit control. (£18K) I would like to negotiate with him to see if he can move upwards if he really wants me. I have never negotiated salary before. Could you please assist as to how I should ask him?

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Lee sorry to say or you may take this the wrong way but that is a really good offer and i cant see a offer being increased (that is above what they offer for NHS)
  • Lee
    I have just checked on the salary survey for credit controllers, it ranges from £19k and I also forgot to mention I have +15years CC experience! what do you think?

I really appreciate your response but based on my experience, I feel this is too low. Your further comment would be appreciated.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Also it is based on your area - so say for instance you live in london yes the wages will be a little higher than say midlands, but i know someone who works for the north east NHS Service and has worked with them for ten years as a credit controller but has reached the top of the banding 16,500, also you may not get a very large salary but have they offered anything else say a training contract the offer of an increase after 3 months - these are only questions you can ask we cant tell you - but if they are offering 18k it is a good deal
  • Lee
    Thanks Vic really appreciate your response.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Lee wrote: »
    I have just checked on the salary survey for credit controllers, it ranges from £19k and I also forgot to mention I have +15years CC experience! what do you think?

Are you an accredited credit controller Lee with a recognised certification in that area? Personally, I think good credit controllers are worth their weight in gold and depending on the value of an organisations ledger, £20k a year for a £10m ledger with acknowledged problems is peanuts.
  • geek84
    geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Folks

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is an 'accredited credit controller?'

I have been doing credit control for 10 years and don't think I have come across that term!

Thanks
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    This might help though I'm not aware of its reputation. This one looks about on a par with unit 15 but is an award in it's own right (unlike unit 15 which is just a module as part of a wider qualification). There may be higher levels than this, though I can't be arsed to Google too much, sorry!

http://www.findcourses.co.uk/Credit_Control_and_Debt_Management_Level_3_107751.htm

http://www.icm.org.uk/default.asp?edit_id=563-28

Our old credit controller (who was also a full CIMA member) received (and we still get them long after he's gone) professional publications on credit control and risk management. Just like many other walks of life, there are regulating or certifying bodies even though they may be little known or of limited value.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have worked for the NHS for 9 years and the lady doing our credit control has been there a lot longer and we are now both at the top of the pay scale (18k). I have just started sudying AAT but even when I qualify my salary will not chance, the hope is to find something else.

My thoughts are if you can get a chance go for it jobs are hard to come by at the moment, if the wage is liveable its a job you can negotiate once your there and can see what you can bring to the company.

Jan
  • Lee
    I have credit management diploma (not a UK accredited body) qualification and also qualified by experience. I finally got the job and negotiated a higher salary. The debtor is more than £30m. My studies will be paid for, which is good.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Congratulations Lee - well done
Privacy Policy