Members with second/other jobs or businesses?

GinnyBee
GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi everyone,

I've got a question which has been getting me thinking. Are any of the many MIP's on here (and indeed members) also running any other businesses or holding down jobs at the same time?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of beoming an MIP and also want to train as a Pilates teacher. That would give me two self employed businesses (at least I wouldn't need to find an accountant for my teaching income!!)

Thaking a slightly different tack - anyone got any really unsual combinations of businesses/jobs?

I know someone who is an MIP and also a drystone waller - quite different I'm sure you'll agree!

Look forward to hearing people's thoughts

Ginny

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Yes I do. I am a Fellow MIP, an Avon lady and also a partner in a property business letting out over 30 properties and carrying out the maintenance on these (yes the manual work as well as the clerical side). It is great to do different types of job. I love the manual work, but I also love the office work. I enjoy loading a skip with rubbish, unloading bags of cement from a van, decorating properties etc, but also keeping all the records straight. It also helps you meet new people and new clients. It is also a lovely change to sort someone else's paperwork and tax affairs.
    Hope that helps.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Yep, I work in a farm office 3 days a week and am a new MIP too.

Juggling the two is hard work, but worth it. Ultimately I want to be able to concentrate on my business, but I also need to know that I have a regular income whilst I build up my clients. For the time being I have the best of both worlds.

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Paul C
    Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Full time 9 to 5 'er here ( accounting ) but trying to get MIP going as well. What's most tiring though is being a parent.....no kids today so hiding in the library.....

I did have 3 jobs once - builder, petrol station and accountant.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    When I decided one evening that I really didn't want to go back to my employer and becoming self employed was better option I couldn't decide whether to become an MIP or make wedding invitations. For the first 6 months I tried doing both but I found the wedding invitations were too time consuming to ever make any money on - I did loads of wedding fayres & seemed to be getting a good response there but got very little work out of it so I gave up and just do it occasionally for friends for fun now. I much prefer making cards to preparing accounts - maybe one day when I'm not so skint and have some inspired new ideas I'll give it another shot, but for now as I say it's just for fun.
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Im an MIP in one business and run an online lecturing business teaching CIMA too! Fortunately with the MIP business I can plan work around exam dates coming up with students, however, the exams always fall close to school hols, so it's been a while since I have been able to take kids away :(
  • Tiger
    Tiger Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor โญ
    yes I work full time in an accountancy practice and I am an active partner in our farm business too.... and a Mum/Wife/Housekeeper!!!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Paul C wrote: ยป
    I did have 3 jobs once - builder, petrol station and accountant.

You were once a petrol station? Strewth...
  • Paul C
    Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    You were once a petrol station? Strewth...

lol :-)
  • KaelaH
    KaelaH Registered Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I try and juggle small practice as well as being housekeeper and mum to 2 small children and also work one day a week at local supermarket (started this when little one was born as a way to get out of the house and struggling to give it up due to good discounts on groceries and in local department store lol)
  • I'm employed as an FC but own three Ltd companies and a sole trader business. Even though my area is accounting, I like to get involved in other business areas as accounting skills are transferable, especially if you study or have studied CIMA.
Privacy Policy