Informal chat with accountants this evening

amyjayne27
amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hey all!

Haven't been on here for a while as I had a bit of a break from my studies, home study is so hard to keep motivated! Anyway have started back up again, I'm doing intermediate and have done 2 units, 3 to go.
I sent my CV to literally every accountants within a 40 miles radius a few months ago, and one replied last week saying they would like to meet me for an informal chat.

Does anyone know what this means? I have prepared quite alot and will still dress smartly but I have never been in a situation where they just want you to come in for a chat before?

I'm a bit nervous as I really really want this, but I am excited too. If I can just get across how enthusiastic I am, and how I'm doing everything from my own back, hopefully I will make a good impression!

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Amy

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Does anyone know what this means? I have prepared quite alot and will still dress smartly but I have never been in a situation where they just want you to come in for a chat before?

I'm a bit nervous as I really really want this, but I am excited too. If I can just get across how enthusiastic I am, and how I'm doing everything from my own back, hopefully I will make a good impression!

That's great news! I'm an accountant in practice/employer and I've had people in for informal chats before.

Yes, treat it a bit like an interview, even though it isn't. They are interested in you, your CV/ letter got their attention. They want to meet you, to see if you can do anything for them, to see if they can fit you in anywhere - it's just to see if there's any potential for a future relationship. What you have said about how to approach it sounds just fine. Be yourself, sell yourself - tell them what you can do for them. While they are interested in you, they are more interested in whether you can be an asset to them, whether you can make them money - so tell them how you can help them, not just how they can help you ;)

Good luck!
  • amyjayne27
    Hi Monsoon,

Thanks alot for your answer. I have researched about them (although its a small accountants in a small place in Cornwall) and have gone over everything I have learnt so far. I really hope they see the good in me, as I have no experience at all but they know that so I'm glad its not something I have to tell them at the chat. If I have any questions is it acceptable for those questions to be asked tonight? Or shall I wait and see if they ask me back again for a formal interview?

Thanks for your reply,

Amy
  • Monsoon
    Hi Monsoon,

Thanks alot for your answer. I have researched about them (although its a small accountants in a small place in Cornwall) and have gone over everything I have learnt so far. I really hope they see the good in me, as I have no experience at all but they know that so I'm glad its not something I have to tell them at the chat. If I have any questions is it acceptable for those questions to be asked tonight? Or shall I wait and see if they ask me back again for a formal interview?

Thanks for your reply,

Amy
    I'd ask them tonight - it's an informal chat, so just chat :) They want to find things out so it's reasonable that you do too!
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Ooh congrats! Have a good time at your chat! Hope it all works out and you come away with a shiny new job!!

B x
  • amyjayne27
    Morning all,

Well the chat went really well and he offered me the job there and then! I am taking a pay cut of Β£40 a week but in the grand scheme of things I see it as a short term sacrifice but long term gain!

Anyway its for a trainee position and I was just wondering if anyone on this site could give me some insight into what a typical day would be like? I did ask this at the interview/chat and he said I will be starting off doing quite mundane things like balancing book etc, what exactly does this entail?

I am really keen to take this job, I just really hope I am bright enough to do it as he is quite strict and I am being put on a 3 week trial, then a 3 month trial!

Any advice at all would be great, many thanks.

Amy
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Hello, Well done & Congratulations!!

I am a trainee accountant and to start with you do just do the 'mundane' tasks. Balancing the books, making sure cashbooks cross-cast, balancing the bank, reanalysing costs.. (Assuming this is for a job in Practice?) It's all good, and although you are starting with these 'small' things, you'll still be doing them in a couple of years time anyway- just with no one looking over your shoulder, so they aren't really the mundane bits.. Hmm, may not be expressing this very well!

Just listen to what they tell you and make notes, is my advice! Have a good time!! Let us know how the first couple of days go, when you start!!

Congrats

B x
  • amyjayne27
    Morning Becca thanks for your reply.

When you started doing these tasks did they expect you to know what to do straight away? The only thing that worries me is although its a trainee job and I am starting from the bottom, the employer knows I have been doing AAT at intermediate level, so I hope he doesnt think I am a complete wizz kid, because as I have realised learning about accounting in books is completely different to putting it into practice.

I jsut dont want to leave the job I am in now and found out I'm not good at accounting and then be stuck with no job!

Many thanks,

Amy
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Morning,

The job I applied for was advertised for someone with no accounbtancy experience, just A-Levels. And that was me!

They didn't expect me to know anything, but they may say some words/terms, for example, which they use everyday in terms of accounting, that you may not quite click to straight away- this is what I found. If they start going too fast for you, just let them know.. As you say in an earlier post, you have told them in your CV that you have little/no experience and they have still hired you, so they can't be expecting you to be a 'Whizz' at it just yet! :)

You'll be fine!

x
  • amyjayne27
    Thanks Becca, your post has put my mind at rest!

Are you enjoying your job? Are you doing AAT at the moment?

I am really excited to start, I have spent alot of money on studying so it will be great to put some of it into practice! Just dreading telling my current job, thats always the worst bit isnt it!

Thanks,

Amy
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Can't comment on informing a current employer- I went straight from A-Levels to my job!!

I love it, I wouldn't do anything else. I like the people I work with and we have so many clients that I get different jobs to do all the time!

I am still studying, the job I applied for was Trainee Accountant- with training and studying all provided and paid for. I am nearly done on Level 3 now.

You will have a great time! I'm sure telling your current employer will be fine, it has to be done!

Have a good day!

B x
  • Nikdoug
    Nikdoug Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Congratulations. I was taken on as a trainee two years ago now and i have two units left until i have finished the technician level. The best advice i can give ,and probably something you do anyway, is to keep asking questions. When ever your unsure just ask someone and if you do ever make a mistake, i know i have, just tell your boss/manager and ask how to go about correcting it.

As for your current employer, i'm sure they will be happy to see you move on to the career you want to pursue and have worked hard at to get the chance to do so.

Where abouts in cornwall are you? I'm in Truro.

Enjoy.

Nick
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    well done you

Tracy
  • amyjayne27
    Thanks Nikdoug, thats really helpful advice I will remember to keep asking questions, I have always been one of those people that are forever asking questions anyway so wont have a problem with that!!

Thanks very much taskey, very sweet of you.

My boss isnt coming in today now so I have to wait until Tuesday now to hand my notice in, can't wait until its done!

Thanks for all your help,

Amy
  • Monsoon
    Congrats Amy, that's fab!

A good employer should talk you through what needs doing and check your work, not just expect you to know how to do it and expect you've done it right. Once they know you can do something they may not check it as much, but at first you should be getting practical training, one task at a time etc.

If you don't know, then ask, if you aren't sure why you are doing something, ask. TGood luck and enjoy!
  • George Tse
    George Tse Registered Posts: 241 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    wow amy gratz !!

I for one am still looking for a job having qualified in 2009, I will get one some day !!! :D
  • amyjayne27
    Thank you Monsoon I will be sure to ask away if I don't understand, and I am sure he will explain things to me when I start, just me panicing as usual!

Hi gentle jesus, thanks so much I just got lucky, stick in there you have done all the hard studying, someone is bound to snap you up soon!

I just really hope that I have chosen the right career and I can actually do it. Thanks for all your support, its been really great.

Thanks again, Amy
Privacy Policy