Using the letters: MAAT

craggle87
craggle87 Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
Hi Everyone,

Do other members use the MAAT letters after their name on their email signature? I was excited to add MAAT as soon as I qualified and I now have them on my email but my place of work is laid back and is certainly not corporate, I therefore feel a tad pretentious when using these letters around the office. Does anyone else use the letters on their email signature and where do you feel the letters are best suited? emails/letters/business cards/all/none?

Craig

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Anything to do with my accountancy work, then yes, I use my FMAAT - and proud of it. You should be proud to use your letters too.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I use them on my email sig, and on my letterhead and business cards. I don't use them when signing off letters as they are already on the letter head and I feel using them twice is a bit OTT. I stick my BA (Hons) on there as well - I have it, so I may as well use it!

If I feel a situation is OTT then I leave them off, depends what it is. What is your employer's policy on using letters?
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I just have them on my letterheads and business cards.

I used to have them on my emails but when you have more letters after your name than you have in your name it looks a bit silly!

I tend to chop and change when I use them.
  • MoneySavingBank
    MoneySavingBank Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I use BA(Hons.) MAAT
    Proud of it.

You sould be too. :D
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I don't use them at work at all. My manager knows I got them and they got my certificate and everything on file, but I don't use them in my email signature or anywhere else, as my company, like yours, is not corporate at all.
  • BCASL
    BCASL Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    I am PROUD to put FMAAT after my name on just about everthing!
  • craggle87
    Sorry if I came across not proud. That couldn't be further from the truth! I'm very proud of the my status and the hard work applied to gaining it. I was just curious as it's my first qualification and being the only person in the office having the privilege I wanted to hear from other members.

Thank you
  • Paul C
    Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I'm also proud to have my FMAAT but I do think its important follow normal practice where you work.
  • Monsoon
    *resists temptation to grump about having to wait another 2 years for FMAAT when I passed exams 5 years ago. Oh wait, failed.*

I'm trying to decide whether to use my letters on my new appointment: Responsible Financial Officer (treasurer) for my local Parish Council. Can't decide whether it will look good that the RFO is an accountant, or whether I will look like I'm showing off.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    absolutely not showing off at all

i will be using MAAT on everything as soon as i am allowed :) can't wait

Tracy
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    pretentious

Monsoon wrote: Β»
    I use them on my email sig, and on my letterhead and business cards. I don't use them when signing off letters as they are already on the letter head and I feel using them twice is a bit OTT. I stick my BA (Hons) on there as well - I have it, so I may as well use it!

If I feel a situation is OTT then I leave them off, depends what it is. What is your employer's policy on using letters?

Maybe it depends whether you work for a company or practice?

Working for a company I'd feel a bit pretentious having them on my footer.

But then again maybe I should put it on, we should do the most to point out our skills!
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰

I'm trying to decide whether to use my letters on my new appointment: Responsible Financial Officer (treasurer) for my local Parish Council. Can't decide whether it will look good that the RFO is an accountant, or whether I will look like I'm showing off.

That made me smile - it's very British of you. I say go ahead and show off.

Didn't use my letters much when I was employed by someone else, except to add weight to a communication. Always use them now I have my own business.
  • lou123
    lou123 Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    I use MAAT to sign off e-mails, even internal ones at work.

I tend to use it when corresponding in financial matters by letter but not otherwise.

I couldn't wait to get letters after my name and even though my boss is also an MAAT and doesn't use it, I never thought twice about it. I worked really hard to earn them and intend to publicise my qualification!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I use it on all e-mails from my works address.

Only used it on a letter once when I was sending back my acceptance of a contact of employment :).
  • craggle87
    Good to see everyone is using them proudly :) I'm keeping mine on my email signature now, I have just toned it down a little i.e. I had MAAT in capitals in the same font and size but now I have reduced the font size and added the Italic effect , it works.

Thanks
  • taskey
    so on a CV how do i put it

Taskey MAAT

does it go in brackets? help
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    That was is fine.

I had it on my CV as AK, MAAT but it's in my e-mails sig as AK MAAT :P
  • baduk10
    baduk10 Registered Posts: 34 Regular contributor ⭐
    Nope, I don't use my FMAAT on any of my correspondence at work. I used to in the early days, but the novelty kinda wore off in the last three years of so....
  • jackiepowell
    jackiepowell Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
    Letters after Name

Hi,

I have been wondering about letters after my name too..

I have completed Level 2 and 3 in accounts of AAT but not Level 4 and I have no intention to...
    However, I have changed careers and gone in to payroll and currently completed level 2 aat payroll and about to sit the exam for level 3 on thursday.

Can I put any letters after my name, once completed both levels of AAT Payroll, as it is essentially a completed qualification?

Thanks
    Jackie
  • Monsoon
    taskey wrote: Β»
    does it go in brackets? help

Nope. Only certain things go in brackets, like BA (Hons) for example. When you get letters it would say if any of them go in brackets.

I put my letters after my name in a smaller font than my name, it just reads Monsoon BA (Hons) MAAT
  • Monsoon

Can I put any letters after my name, once completed both levels of AAT Payroll, as it is essentially a completed qualification?

Thanks
    Jackie

I don't think you can get letters after your name for completing NVQ levels (same as you don't get letters for GCSEs or A Levels).

You've completed a qualification that can go on your CV, but as far as AAT goes, I think you only get letters when admitted to full membership - I don't know about the payroll qualification but I've never heard of any letters for it, but you may as well ask :)
  • taskey
    Nope. Only certain things go in brackets, like BA (Hons) for example. When you get letters it would say if any of them go in brackets.

I put my letters after my name in a smaller font than my name, it just reads Monsoon BA (Hons) MAAT

thanks, CV now updated and sent out to a few employers in the hope..........
  • Raging Pineapples
    Raging Pineapples Registered Posts: 110 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I'm kind of annoyed, because I'm a director in my Dad's limited company, which isn't (yet) in any way affiliated with AAT.

So until we register me as a Member in Practice, I believe my directorship in the business bars me from using MAAT after my name on business correspondence. Oh the price I pay for tax efficiency. :(

However I do still use the MAAT in a private capacity (e.g. in correspondence with HMRC and other agencies regarding my own personal affairs). I assume there's no problem with that - if anyone suspects I'm wrong on this point, please do say!
  • Monsoon
    Chris, I hate to say this, but whether you use the letters or not, if you're MAAT and you are a director in an accountancy service company that is trading (and you're working in it) then I believe AAT rules say you need a MIP licence. It's not about the use of the letters - I don't think it's like being a student member where you can still trade but can't reference the AAT at all.

If you're a fully paid up full member you can use MAAT as much as you like, I think it's a separate issue.
  • Raging Pineapples
    I was under the impression that one could work under those circumstances so long as there was no mention of any connection between the practice and the AAT, subject to having the necessary PII and only undertaking work that you're competent to do (similar to the student requirements). I'm reasonably sure I've seen it written in some PDF guidance that I downloaded, but now that you've seeded a doubt in my mind, I can't find it.

It doesn't help that finding information on the AAT website is like trying to find Jack Sparrow's Isla de Muerta - "It cannot be found except by those who already know where it is"

I'll contact them to make sure.
  • Monsoon
    I could be wrong! But I can't see that there would be MIP rules if one could just circumvent them by just not mentioning the AAT (I'm not suggesting you're trying to circumsvent them!) - yes, probably best to ask the MIP team to be sure! Good luck :)
  • Raging Pineapples
    I repent! Just phoned them and yes, I do need to register! Thanks very, very much for the heads up Monsoon!
  • Monsoon
    I repent! Just phoned them and yes, I do need to register! Thanks very, very much for the heads up Monsoon!

No worries - hope it's not going to cause a problem!!
Privacy Policy