Assistant Accountant - TOP car dealership ...salary?

AmyRichardson
AmyRichardson Registered Posts: 89 Regular contributor ā­
Hi All

I have recently been speaking with a friend of mine who is the FC @ worldwide car manufacturer, due to her colleague going on materinty, she has offered me a position (if i want it) as an 'Assistant Accountant'. I am due to meet with her in a couple of weeks to discuss further,

I was wondering what kind of salary I should expect, i have researched and came back with figures anywhere between 25-35k!
I know I would get a compnay car + fuel card - my dad confirmed as he works for the same company indirectly
Does anyone already work in the car industry for a similar company that could give some mre info please?

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Sounds a high expectation for an assistant job. But too vague at this point to know, good luck!
  • AmyRichardson
    I agree, however i found 'assistant accountant' is a much more involved job role compared to an 'Accounts Assisant' hence the higher pay :)
  • Craig9
    Craig9 Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ā­
    The car dealership trade are well known for paying a lower rate than the average. I've worked for a certain German car manufacturer (oh lord won't you buy me a...) and the salary was pretty dismal compared to other industries rate. However if you're covering maternity and are out of work I wouldn't look at the money aspect or if you are getting free fuel - it could be a great opportunity to make an impression and they might take you on permanent, if not it's good to have on your C.V. when you go for jobs in the future.
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Surely it would depend on experience?
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Agree with the other posts - salary for motor industry can be very low.

Also I would suggest researching the company rather than salary - every company can be different, heck divisions in companies pay differently for the same role.

Don't expect to much then every bit over is a bonus
  • AmyRichardson
    i agree with all. I have been told its a permanent opportunity.

i am currently on 18k and have been advised by the FC (whom I know personally) that 25k + will be on offer. however there is one thing to note, its about an hours drive from where i live and i think it may be 45 hours a week rather than 40 which i do now.

The company is VW
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor šŸ˜
    so why not go for it then, if the nly thing making you um and ah about it is a couple extra hours a week and an hours drive, they're not very big issues. maybe thats just me. as long as you recon you can do the duties, thats the main thing
  • Woooof
    Woooof Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Primble wrote: Ā»
    so why not go for it then, if the nly thing making you um and ah about it is a couple extra hours a week and an hours drive, they're not very big issues. maybe thats just me. as long as you recon you can do the duties, thats the main thing
    I'd happily do them to get my salary to that :(
  • AmyRichardson
    the woman goes on maternity in october so will
  • AmyRichardson
    so will have a think from now till then! :)
  • Nikdoug
    Nikdoug Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ā­
    I agree with Woooof, 25K + at 18, get in there! Is your current Job accountancy related?
  • Woooof
    Woooof Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Nikdoug wrote: Ā»
    I agree with Woooof, 25K + at 18, get in there! Is your current Job accountancy related?

I'd take 18k too T_T
  • AmyRichardson
    yes it is accountancy work, only really sales ledger and bank atm!! however they are not looking too good atm and its a struggle to pay the wages each week, so I'm a bit worried!!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    that would be decision made for me then, i would ring and ask if i there was a position i could do until october "just to get some experience of the company etc" at least youwill have your foot in the door and you would not be forgotten come october

good luck and go for it, you will only regret it if you dont

Tracy
  • AmyRichardson
    Agreed but i feel a bit cheeky, feel like i am pushing it a lot, and maybe should be a little more patient?

A lot can happen from now and october, and by then i should be AAT qualified

thing is, where i am now, they are prepared to pay ACCA for me......however given the current circumstances I cant really bank on it?!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Current job: 18k, company in trouble, promises of better in the future but you feel iffy about it

Potential new job: 25k, stable company

I know which one I would go for!

The VW job would look good on your CV. Depends how much you're prepared to risk in terms of what you may be giving up in your current job - you do sound doubtful that they will be ok to pay for ACCA etc.

Actually the main thing for me would be the additional travel and working hours, that would be the only thing putting me off, but if it doesn't bother you too much, I would just go for it.
  • AmyRichardson
    initially it sounds like a 'no brainer' however nothing is set in stone until contracts are drawn up etc! plus I dont know wether the 25k would incl study or not?

tricky one to be honest, where I am now, they do want me to learn and eventually become their management accountant etc.

Just need a crystal ball!!!
  • Craig9
    Craig9 Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ā­
    Tony Soprano "No risk, No reward"
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    For the 7k per year extra you would be able to study quite a lot, even if they don't support you!

If they do support you and it's included in the 25k, it might depend on how much is included in the study, but it seems very unlikely to me that they will spent more than 7k per year on your study cost!
  • oakley
    oakley Registered Posts: 73 Regular contributor ā­
    I dont think i have had an accounts job doing 40 hours a week let alone 45, I am sure all the practice guys here have though....one benefit of working in industry. If they are paying for your study or not and giving you car, fuel, and Ā£25k (car benefit only just ok for lower tax rate, not worth it for higher rate in my opinion) it seems the better option (although 1 hr drives seem ok, its a long way in the winter on dark nights)
Privacy Policy