Privacy in this forum

Londina
Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
A suggestion to improve the privacy of the users:

Currently guests can look at any user's profile and browse in their profiles to search and find previous posts/threads started.

I think this shouldn't allowed to guests but just to users, as it's private to the members of this forum what has been discussed (a potential employer or colleague or anyone else could work out the identity of the user by reading his/her history without login here).

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Londina wrote: Β»
    I think this shouldn't allowed to guests but just to users, as it's private to the members of this forum what has been discussed (a potential employer or colleague or anyone else could work out the identity of the user by reading his/her history without login here).
    That's the inherent danger with posting on the internet.

You shouldn't put anything on the internet that you wouldn't be happy putting on a postcard.

I don't see any need to hide behind extra privacy; if you don't want to say something you don't want someone to see, then don't say it, simples.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Must say I agree with Jenni.

Have used Facebook before to do some research on potential employees. Really is interesting what you can find out!

If you don't want people to see something then don't post it.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    burg wrote: Β»
    Have used Facebook before to do some research on potential employees. Really is interesting what you can find out!
    If you don't want people to see something then don't post it.

We do that too at work!!hahha

Anyway I agree with what are you saying, however I have seen so many posts about being unhappy with current jobs or study provider, personal life, etc....I just saying that those previous posts shouldn't be searchable by someone outside this forum (a guest), plus at the end of the day including in our AAT membership the usage of this forum supposed to be a "benefit" too, therefore I believe it should be restricted to their members.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Sorry disagree with you on this one.

Not all members on the forums are AAT members/ students and they got as much right to be here as you or me and may even contribute more. You would kick those off, just for a bit of privacy because someone posted stuff they shouldn't have posted.

Making stuff not searchable doesn't stop people from searching. They don't have to do a search on your profile, they could just do a search through the forums, as none of them are restricted to members. Besides that, there is nothing stopping them from making an account to do a search if they want to, which brings us back to restricting it to AAT members/ students.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

I have to agree with the majority of the opinions here.

Restricting access to only students and members is too restrictive. Only allowing searches and profile visibility to forum users is one thing, but all someone would need to do is create a profile.

Neil
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Agree with everyone else. It's the spirit and nature of the internet that forum communications are not secure and can be viewed, shared and enjoyed by all, not just members. For example, if you want to research a knowledge base for something that may be wrong with your car, its user forums like this one that can provide invaluable advice and help save on expensive, unnecessary bills.

If people write stuff that they shouldn't, don't blame the internet when it's really the lack of self control of the poster that's at fault.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I think it's up to each member to choose their own privacy level. Nobody makes you put information on your member's page, if you don't want to share your details then that is entirely up to you.

Yes, it is easy to find some people as they post their website/blog/photo/location; but this is all down to personal choice - other people share nothing of themselves, so would be exceptionally difficult to identify if you could really be bothered to try and find a particular person on this forum!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    A lot of forums make you sign up before seeing all, but I think this is more about getting more members than protecting privacy..
Privacy Policy