DFS CBA - how is it marked?

oli
oli Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi there,

Yesterday I re-sat my DFS exam, unsure of how I have done. The first statement of comprehensive income and financial position didn't balance, I was out by £20,000 which I couldn't work out, I showed all my calculations in the workings section. I think I did ok on the multiple choice questions and ratios, the written questions I felt I may have babbled quite a bit but included examples where possible, I was surprised to find that the consolidated statement of financial position balanced.

I really hope I have passed but am so unsure, does anyone know how they mark the DFS exam? Do you get any marks if the statement of comprehensive income/financial position doesnt balance, do they take workings into account?

Comments

• Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Well by my experience i really dont think it matters whether it balances or not! I sat my first FNST exam and couldnt get the first financial position to balance but the consolidated statement balanced but still failed. On my feedback that appealed for it said i MET on this question.
    Second time i sat the exam everything balanced and i thought i did better with the mutiple choice and ratios etc but still failed!
    I have appealed again to see where i have gone wrong!
    Good luck with yours
  • ms sadat
    ms sadat Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    As they say u will get marked for ur workings bt seriosly i dont know how it works .i have my DFS CBA on friday and i am freaked out ,i have been revising for a month now and still dont feel confident enough.
    @oli : was it similer to the practice CBA in the AAT website or difffrent ?was there any cash flow ?any recomendation on revision ?
  • oli
    @ms sadat: I had no cashflow, had a comprehensive income and financial position, a consolidated financial position, ratios, multiple choice questions and a few written questions, I think that you also need to know the IAS's aswell.

It seems to be mostly like the AAT practice paper to be honest
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    I've just booked to do my FNST on 5th August. Ulp.
  • oli
    Good Luck uknitty :-)
  • nonmugglesue
    nonmugglesue Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    BeckyV the exact same thing happened to me on my first exam, my SFP didn't balance but my consolidated statement did, I also failed but it would be nice to know where I failed (how do I find out?)

What is the pass rate needed? I think it is 70% on both parts which is hard on section 2 as these are just reports?

I am retaking tomorrow. Fingers crossed to everyone doing this exam.
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    BeckyV the exact same thing happened to me on my first exam, my SFP didn't balance but my consolidated statement did, I also failed but it would be nice to know where I failed (how do I find out?)

What is the pass rate needed? I think it is 70% on both parts which is hard on section 2 as these are just reports?

I appealed against mine but you can only do this within 10 days of receiving the result. It just told me what i exceeded, met or did not meet. As i have failed again i have appealed again so now waiting the results!!

Good luck for tomorrow! :)
  • nonmugglesue
    nonmugglesue Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks Becky,

I am going to see how the next one goes but if I fail I am going to question why.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️

Hello

You are correct - the pass rate is 70%. Section 2 is not just reports it also includes ratios - knowing the formula and using sets of accounts to calculate ratios and possibly IAS/IFRS.

Good luck for tomorrow!
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy