How to find out the size of an accountants firm?

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi Folks

At present, I am out of work and have sent off loads of copies of my cv to accountants for the change to get work experience.

I don't often get a reply, but sometimes on the rejection letter it states that they are only a small firm of accountants and so cannot afford to take on anybody new.

My question is - How do I find out the size of the firm? Are there any specific websites which give that type of info?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    No, I don't think there is any central place where you can find that out. Their website is probably the best bet - although that can be deceptive. I have 4 members of staff listed (genuinely) on my site and we have a High St address so I think we look bigger than we are, but I would consider us 'small' and can never entertain the CVs we get sent. It's still worth doing though - I got a good one a while ago that I've saved as when I recruit again, I will make them aware of the vacancy in case they are interested and still available.
  • geek84
    Hi Monsoon

Many thanks for your reply.

I have sent off loads of applications to accountant firms in the hope of getting a suitable accounts role. The majority of them don't even reply back, and the ones that do reply are rejections!

I am currently on level 3, so could you give any advice how I could get a suitable accounts role?

Thanks in advance
  • Monsoon
    That's par for the course I'm afraid; all you can do is keep trying a variety of things.

I do my best to reply to letters that I get (only if there is an email address provided though, I won't write a letter) but sometimes I just don't have time to.

Keep your eye on local noticeboards, shop windows etc as well as job adverts - I sometimes put vacancies up there as opposed to in the paper.

Have you tried volunteering at a charity doing their books?

It's hard to get that first position but don't give up!
  • katz568
    katz568 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor โญ
    I would advise just keep sending out those CV's. I was in your position, i was on level 4 and had no practical experience but kept sending out the cv's and i finally got a reply asking if i was interested in doing some experience while somebody was on maternity leave. I went in to do that and somebody left while i was there and even though the position had been advertised as i was there and they had got to know me they offered me the job.
    6 months later and i'm doing more than i ever thought i would be, basic book keeping one day to audit and independent exams the next.
  • geek84
    Good Morning Folks

As stated earlier, I have sent off loads of speculative letters but only have had a handful of replies - and those have only been rejection letters!

For the ones who have not bothered replying, shall I send a gentle email reminder requesting them to look at my cv, if they have not already done so!

Thanks in advance.
  • Monsoon
    geek84 wrote: ยป

For the ones who have not bothered replying, shall I send a gentle email reminder requesting them to look at my cv, if they have not already done so!
    I wouldn't. In the nicest way, we are very busy and your mail is unsolicited. Same as we don't reply to all the advertising and junk mail that arrives every day, we can't always reply to unsolicited letters that we are sent - accountancy practices get so many unsolicited CVs all the time from people who want a job, sometimes it just isn't possible to reply to all of them (and some firms probably have a policy of just binning them, I expect). I think chasing up a reply might be construed as rude or nagging by some. Just my 2 cents.

In terms of when to try again, I would say 6 months is the right frequency to send out speculative letters.
  • geek84
    Hi Monsoon

So apart from continuing to apply for jobs in the traditional way, can you suggest any other ways of finding suitable employment?

Thanks in advance.
  • Monsoon
    Only what I've already said - keep looking, keep trying, look for volunteer opportunities. It's hard, but eventually you will get a break! Having never been there, I don't know, maybe search other threads of people asking the similar question? A lot of the time it seems to be a case of being in the right place at the right time, so just keep your eyes open all the time.

Good luck and keep positive!!
Privacy Policy