Voluntary Redundancy

jilt
jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
If someone offers to take voluntary rdundancy should the same be offered to the other employees? I would have thought it unfair not to offer to the others but was unsure seeing as volunteers hadn't actually been asked for.

Comments

• slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I Don't think so,

i was offered voluntary redundancy as i had been in company the longest and the rest of team had been there half the time i had...sort of a perk of being there so long......if you can classify being laid off as a perk.
  • jilt
    Really I honestly would have thought they had to offer to everyone in the department concerned. Will have to read up more.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    jilt wrote: ยป
    Really I honestly would have thought they had to offer to everyone in the department concerned. Will have to read up more.

I would have thought so... But maybe not, its not like a forced redundancy where everyone would have to be treated equally. So maybe this could be offered confidentially between that employee and the company, just that same as other pay and bonuses.
  • jilt
    Well it's not compulsary no but they still have rights, for instance he still has to be given the same redundnacy notice as if it was. Anyway thanks for the comments guys the employer concerned has decided to offer to all his employees, there are only 12 of them.
  • Siobhan Carmel
    Siobhan Carmel Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor โญ
    This is a situation where membership of a union or professional body can be of advantage.

They can provide information to employees that an individual might not have considered.

Eg On taking voluntary redundancy, depending on the person's age and where abouts in the country they live, gaining another job might be very difficult.

Siobhan
Privacy Policy