DFS CBA using casio calculators

ms sadat
ms sadat Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
I been using this casio calculator for the past 3years since i have started the AAT in college and i am used to using it . until now it wasnt a problem or anything but today my bad luck befor starting my DFS CBA they came and got my calculator saying that i am not allowed to use this calculator and they gave me a very faulty one to use .i told them i been using this for the past 3 years and there was no problem and suddenly it just happend today that i am not allowed to use it . i know it sound a bit silly but if i didnt control myself i would,v had a big argument with them but honetly i dont know how did i calculate evrything with the small faulty diffrent calculator and i am very upset and angry .
i think i should get ready for the retake .

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Was it a scientific or programmable calculator? If so, I'm pretty sure these are banned and have been for years. If it is a banned one and you've just never been caught, then you've been lucky but you can hardly complain too much about it.

A bit like telling a policeman you've always driven at forty in a thirty and never had a problem before...!
  • Nia
    Nia Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
    I've used a scientific calculator in my exams and have been told my my centre that is ok, as it isn't programmable. I've just copied the following from AAT's FAQ's:

Can I use my own calculator?
    Yes, the rules on calculators are the same as for the paper based exams. Calculators must not be programmable. Calculators should not be able to store data, text or alphanumeric formulas. Calculators should not emit audible tones, be able to print, be programmable from other sources or be a function of a personal organiser, watch or mobile phone. Solar powered calculators are used at the candidate’s own risk.
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
    which model casio scientific is it? there are certain ones you can not use, they normally check them before you start the exam. mine is a really old one FX83ES and I was allowed to use that for my last exam.
  • ms sadat
    ms sadat Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    as i have mentioned above i been using this calculator for the past 3 years in the same college and the same examiners and they allways came and check and it was ok . it is casio fx83ES. and honestly i am very pissed off about it still and i wana complain .
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    To repeat, just because you've previously used or been allowed to use a certain calculator for earlier exams, it doesn't necessarily mean that the calculator is allowable, simply that you've never been caught or that it might not have been verified properly. There was a big hoo hah on here a few weeks ago about exam cheats but surely taking a banned calculator into an exam could also be seen as a potential for dishonesty, whether knowingly or not?

I had a quick look at the calculator you mention - the FX83ES...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-83-ES-Calculator/dp/B000J6BHKW

... and while I may be wrong, on first impressions it looks to me that you could program that with certain equations that could be useful in formula heavy modules such as ECR. It might seem a storm in a teacup to some but not to those devious enough to risk a banned tool and getting away with it because of the uncertainty of exam invigilators.
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hello,

I have used the casio fx-85es throughout cima - would have struggled without it and have noticed that these casio calculators were very popular throughout the exam room. Best advice - contact aat with your model and ask if it is ok to use, which I expect it will be.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Was it a scientific or programmable calculator? If so, I'm pretty sure these are banned and have been for years. If it is a banned one and you've just never been caught, then you've been lucky but you can hardly complain too much about it.

A bit like telling a policeman you've always driven at forty in a thirty and never had a problem before...!

The calculator should be ok as long as it doesn't store text. Most scientific calculators don't! Otherwise they would be fairly unsellable not being allowed in exam rooms.

I used them no problem, we had to have them for some of the ACCA exams because we needed the more complex functions.
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
    The Casio Fx-83ES does not have a program Memory and there should be no issue with using this calculator in exams, in fact our tutor also uses this calculator. please see the Casio website for more details. there are no program storage areas on this model.
  • PGM
    Nia wrote: »
    I've used a scientific calculator in my exams and have been told my my centre that is ok, as it isn't programmable. I've just copied the following from AAT's FAQ's:

Can I use my own calculator?
    Yes, the rules on calculators are the same as for the paper based exams. Calculators must not be programmable. Calculators should not be able to store data, text or alphanumeric formulas. Calculators should not emit audible tones, be able to print, be programmable from other sources or be a function of a personal organiser, watch or mobile phone. Solar powered calculators are used at the candidate’s own risk.

This is a bad rule! Should not store data? I can't remember using a calculator that doesn't store data, they all have a function to remember a number, and thats data.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I also have used this calculator for all of my exams with no problem. I had to borrow a calculator for my last exam from the exam centre as I had left my at home, they also lent me this model of calculator

The problem is once you get use to a particular model it is often hard to use a different one
  • PGM
    I had to borrow a calculator for my last exam from the exam centre as I had left my at home

How do you forget a calculator, I must check a dozen times! :D
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I don't know!!!

It didn't matter in the end as it was the wrong version of the exam as well
Privacy Policy