Authorising Agent

KaelaH
KaelaH Registered Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Has anybody managed to authorise an agent via clients Online Services?
I have a client who is trying to work this from his end on Corporation Tax service, he's asking me for my Government Gateway Agent ID. I've given him all the codes I can think it is - my Corp Tax Ref, my Agent ID and my Gateway ID. None of these are accepted.
Any idea what reference it is they are asking for?

The other option is for me to initiate it my end, which isn't a problem but we're trying to save time waiting for codes as client is on holiday next week.

Thanks

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I don't do it this way round because as you have discovered it is a pain!

The reference is one you can find by logging into gateway.gov.UK and it's there somewhere. If your HMRC login is wdrf1567erty then your gateway reference will be something like KAELA-wdrf1567 I think.

Log into gateway and have a look about - I always see it when I am in there, though never need it.
  • KaelaH
    KaelaH Registered Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Thanks Monsoon, we did try that but am guessing we got the capitalisation or spacing incorrect. Grrr - they have to use the most complicated one don't they lol

Will get him to give it a go again.
    I hate working with tight deadlines for this very reason!!!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Yes the whole computer system is overly complex!

Remember, if it is his tight deadline then it is his problem; you can only do what you can do. Put a normal electronic auth through from your end as well just in case.

Also, I learned the hard way not to bend over backwards for some clients - went in on a Saturday morning once to file a return on the final due date, because he had been late getting me the information (like a major change 3 days before then didn't reply to my mails and then argued over my correct treatment of something). He then threw his toys out of the pram about things and we mutually disengaged. Moral of the story, only go above and beyond for those clients who without a shadow of a doubt are lovely and will genuinely appreciate it. Everyone else, you will get no thanks.

I've gone off on a tangent. Hope you get your auth sorted :)
Privacy Policy