Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Gem7321
Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi everyone

I think I'm suffering with carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand which got me thinking is this quite common in our profession? What do you do to relieve the pain?

Comments

• *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    You really need to go to a doctors to have it diagnosed properly. They will be the best to advise you what to do.

I had this a few years back but it went when I followed my doctors advice.

Jo
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I get intermittent pain/irritation in my right (mouse) hand. It's annoying , and I find using a decent mouse helps, and indeed stopping and doing something different. It's not got to the point where I feel the need to see a doctor as it's very occasional. As Jo says, you should go see your doctor though.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I've got a doctors appointment booked but in the meantime I'm dosing up on paracetemol! It's not as painful today but my fingers feel really stiff and difficult to move
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    My nan had that and also a neighbour. They both had a minor op where the nerves are cut. All fine now :)
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    I have had it in both hands over the years. Mine came on very suddenly and was so bad when it first hit that I could not even balance a bar of soap in the affected hand to get washed.

Up here in the frozen north they try to avoid the operation for it. I have splints to use whenever it flares up now - they bend the hand backwards very slightly to stretch out the swollen part of the wrist.

What I find helps is ibuprofen (reduces the swelling) and taking water tablets for a couple of days. That usually settles it down.
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I had this a few years ago - from overuse of my mouse! I was eventually given a steroid injection in my wrist and haven't had a problem since. Mind you I make sure that I alternate my mouse hand every few days so this has probably helped as well - not so proficient with my left hand but perseverence helped! Good luck.
Privacy Policy