Tax relief for washing uniform??

diane79
diane79 Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
I don't know if anyone's heard of this but someone has advised my partner that as he washes his 'uniform' (that has been provided by his employer), he is entitled to claim tax relief against the costs incurred.

I've never heard of this before, but that's not to say it isn't right, but I just wondered if anyone else had come across this.

Comments

• sloshed
    sloshed Registered Posts: 100 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    What is your partner's occupation? There are certain occupations where HMRC have agreed tax deductions for laundry costs.
  • diane79
    diane79 Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
    He works as a machine operator/forklift driver in a manufacturing company
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I think that one is pushing it a bit!
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/relief-tools.htm

Pretty sure it would fall under this.

I know i benefited form it when i worked in a hotel as our suits were provided foc by the company (with company logo stiched into them) but we had to pay to clean them ourselves (on be nice to the laundry department)
  • SusieQtips
    SusieQtips Registered Posts: 65 Regular contributor ⭐
    diane79 wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone's heard of this but someone has advised my partner that as he washes his 'uniform' (that has been provided by his employer), he is entitled to claim tax relief against the costs incurred.

I've never heard of this before, but that's not to say it isn't right, but I just wondered if anyone else had come across this.

A few years ago I worked in a Building Society that provided a uniform with their logo on it. I was allowed tax relief for the washing of it. At the time I think it was something like £40 per year but that is about 10yrs ago. It's worth looking into. Hope this helps.
  • oakley
    oakley Registered Posts: 73 Regular contributor ⭐
    agreed that the £40 releif would be available to launder uniforms, i work for a manufacturing company and we got universal relief for all empoyees to save them claiming individually.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    SusieQtips wrote: »
    A few years ago I worked in a Building Society that provided a uniform with their logo on it. I was allowed tax relief for the washing of it. At the time I think it was something like £40 per year but that is about 10yrs ago. It's worth looking into. Hope this helps.

This is interesting, I used to work in a bank where we were provided uniforms with logos on and I wasn't aware we were entitled to tax relief for washing it. I wonder if the payroll department automatically adjusted our tax codes to cover it under some sort of universal relief like Oakley has suggested?

Speaking of which, that was my first job and I don't even remember filling out a P46 to say so. This was long before I understood how the PAYE system works, might have to dig out an old pay slip and see what they did with my tax!
  • SusieQtips
    SusieQtips Registered Posts: 65 Regular contributor ⭐
    I can't remember a lot about it as it was a long time ago, but I seem to remember something to do with it being called a dry cleaning allowance and I don't know if that makes a difference. I know my personal tax code was increased to allow for this. Sorry I can't be more helpful it was a long time ago.
    This is interesting, I used to work in a bank where we were provided uniforms with logos on and I wasn't aware we were entitled to tax relief for washing it. I wonder if the payroll department automatically adjusted our tax codes to cover it under some sort of universal relief like Oakley has suggested?

Speaking of which, that was my first job and I don't even remember filling out a P46 to say so. This was long before I understood how the PAYE system works, might have to dig out an old pay slip and see what they did with my tax!
  • Andrew C
    Andrew C Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    From my understanding I was previously told by HMRC that it needs to have something like a company name or logo on the clothing that would prevent you from wearing it outside of work. When I worked at Sainsburys the non-management staff had their personal allowances changed en-masse.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I know that police officers get 'dry cleaning tokens' for their uniform.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    anniem wrote: »
    I know that police officers get 'dry cleaning tokens' for their uniform.

Really? Where did you see that? My boyfriend is a police officer and doesn't get them. Will have to investigate! Lol
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Where are you? Hampshire always used to get them, but maybe it's changed since I left in 2001.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    He's in Kent. Perhaps they got rid of them. I don't see why anyone should get it, you would have to wash your clothes anyway, why does it matter if it's a particular shirt? If it required some sort of special cleaning and the company insisted you did then yes. I don't get an allowance, and I have to buy shirts and suits for work.
  • This made me laugh. I can just imagine seeing somebody calculating the total cost of a running a washing machine and apportioning them to an item of clothing using ABC.

I suppose if it is claimable, every little helps.
  • gregory
    gregory Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
    I have similar situation....if anyone could advise me, please.
    My client owns a karate school, so he uses a uniform (by the way it is called GI) at his "workplace". Past few years he was claiming £5 (that is: 2 lessons a week * £2,5) a week for laundry. That has been done by accountant who did my client's SA previously.
    Has anyone come across similiar case?
    Also can I put as a "small pool allowance" amount of £810 he spent on equipment(floor mats and frame for punchbag) in his SA?
    Your help will be more than appreciated.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Floor mats I would expense through the p and l. I won't capitalise anything that is under 300 per item. If the frame cost more than 300 then claim AIA.

I would claim cleaning allowance for the Gi as likely it will need washing after each time (dusty and sweaty!). I would probably use £3 per week as opposed to £5, but that's just me, I feel £5 is probably a bit much. But maybe I am stingy!
  • gregory
    Thank You Monsoon,
    Frame was a cost of £120. But with floor mates it makes an amount for the "small pool allowance", I think. If understand HMRC's rules regarding capital allowances for self-employed people right?
  • gregory
    Hi, hoping that You all have a nice summer time, well.... as long as weather permitting :)

Kindly asking for help and confirmation regarding posting transactions in VT+.
    Amount of £700 took from Credit Card to buy an asset. What I did...create a credit card bank account. Posted as money out from it to a current bank account. Then from there as money out to "Assets"/"Equipment, machinery...".I dont how many of You work with VT+ cashbooks? Is that ok. I dont want to look silly but I dont have much instant practice with such cases.
    Thank You for any help. Much appreciated as always.
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    My mother's carers get tax relief for washing their uniforms (with logos on) which they had to pay for. Full details on HMRC's website - tax relief info. This is a direct quote from there:

What about uniforms

You can get tax relief on the cost of repairing, cleaning or replacing a uniform if:
    •it's a recognisable uniform that shows you've got a certain sort of job - like a nurse or police uniform
    •your employer requires you to wear it while you're working
    •you've got to pay for it yourself
Privacy Policy