Ideas for a holiday

oli
oli Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi there,

I'm looking to get away at some point either this year or next and have never been abroad before. I'm looking for some cheap city breaks, I would also be traveling alone, does anyone have any decent travel agents for single people that they could advise on using?

Silly question but would I have to pay a supplement charge but I would be traveling alone?

Very new to this so any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    A colleague went with these;

http://www.vjv.com/

Often a good way to meet people going on these group tours.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    PGM wrote: »
    A colleague went with these;

http://www.vjv.com/

Often a good way to meet people going on these group tours.

Totally agree, I've been with Jules Verne a few times, with a friend but there were a few single travellers on each tour and we all got on great together, no one was left sitting on their own etc.
  • oli
    Thanks for the website guys, it's not cheap but it looks more up my alley, I'm not someone who could just sit around and do nothing on holiday.

Now I best get saving :-) If you have any other sites that you would recommend please let me know.

Thanks
  • Daz1865
    Daz1865 Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    Would you be happy to go on your own, or do you want a travel agent to set you up with other people?

If you are happy to go on your own then it can be booked quite easily. Travel agents just push up the cost and they could well charge a single supplement (as the cheap prices they advertise are based on people sharing)

I've been abroad quite a few times with friends but will probably go on my own for the first time, next year. I've looked into it, just flying out to Italy, renting a car and going up the west coast. I think the key is to do enough things to not worry about being on your own!

If you are looking for ideas then I went to Berlin with a few friends earlier this year and quite enjoyed that. It depends, what kind of things are you into?
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    I'm heading to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia with my girlfriend next year. Only been Thailand out of them and totally in love with it!

How long are you looking to go for?

If you REALLY want to experience what this planet has to offer, jump outside of our European comfort zone and head to South-East Asia, it's one of the most beautiful areas of this world and nowhere I've been in Europe compare to it at all, once your there it's cheap to travel, eat and sleep in luxury so people tend to go for more than 7 days at a time because flights cost the most, you get more for your money in other words.

We came across many single travellers out there a few months ago on our last holiday, that areas HUGE with the backpacker community so your bound to meet others.

If I failed to tempt you then Italy would be lovely to experience, or even a ferry to France then Spain since that's even cheaper.
  • PGM
    Makkusu wrote: »
    If you REALLY want to experience what this planet has to offer, jump outside of our European comfort zone and head to South-East Asia

Not everyone will agree with that!

We're lucky to have all the culture and history in Europe, and that its all on our doorstep. Do both! ;)
  • oli
    Hi Guys thanks for all the ideas

@Makkusu: I think I will stay in Europe to begin with but I am tempted by travelling the rest of the world. I am looking to go first for some weekend breaks and then to take a week away somewhere.

@Daz1865: I would probably go with a travel agent first as I have never been abroad before and a bit apprehensive, although I can understand why people just go on their own, the prices are higher for single people and then having to pay a single person supplement which doesn't seem right to me, why should you pay more to travel alone?

Looking to do the weekend breaks later towards the end of the year or early next year and then 7-10 days next summer.

Thanks for all the advice
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yeah sure, bit of a big leap heading to Asia for a first holiday.

May I suggest if you have the time to plan the flights and hotels yourself then do so, because in my experience it saves a LOT of money and the holiday can be more catered to yourself, this is provided you research the right airlines, areas, hotels etc.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk - Is extremely helpful for all your holiday needs (always research your hotel here before you book it).

Also, look out for deals/bargains for holidays on set dates, you might come across a location you like on a perfect date for a fraction of the price you'd usually pay. Websites such as TravelZoo, Groupon, or HotUKDeals are well regarded and worth checking every couple of days.

Good luck an have fun. Planning a trip is one of the most exciting parts imo. =)
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Center Parcs
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    speegs wrote: »
    Center Parcs

Im going there is November!! so excited as I've never been before! Heard lots of good things though, i see lots of riding through the forest on a bike, (and due to my clumsy nature, probably a visit to A&E too.....)
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I am going to New York next May. Been to America before but never New York so looking forward to it. Not cheap though but willing to pay as I have a special Birthday next year and nope I aint telling which one! :laugh:
  • PGM
    jewels.p wrote: »
    I am going to New York next May. Been to America before but never New York so looking forward to it. Not cheap though but willing to pay as I have a special Birthday next year and nope I aint telling which one! :laugh:

I've been a few times, interesting place! Just got back from Texas, that was hot, too hot!
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    jewels.p wrote: »
    ... and nope I aint telling which one! :laugh:

21 surely?

I'm going to GAMBIA! Yay! So excited!

B x
Privacy Policy