Using Linked-In to find a job

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Good Morning Folks

Have any of you used linked-in to find a job?

I am out of work at the moment, and thinking of ways of how to send copies of my cv in the hope that someone will take me on!

I was thinking of going on to individual accountancy practices websites and using the general email address 'enquiries@' or 'info@' to send my cv. Do you think that would be a good idea?

However, while using linked-in, it may be possible to find out personal email addresses of accountants in a particular practice. I could use their email address. What are your thoughts?

I have also found out that if you want to send a message to someone using linked-in, then you have to pay an annual fee!

Taking all this into consideration, what would you do if you were in my position?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I don't 'get' LinkedIn, but my impression is it's more for employers to find candidates than vice versa, though I'm sure it works the other way round too.

The thing to remember is it's a Social Network. So, you need to join in, not just find contact details.

Set up a good profile that acts as your online CV and make yourself sound good. Join relevant groups and disucssions. Interact.

Employers are more likely to take notice of someone they have interacted with, than someone who is only there to find work and doesn't get involved. It's like people who join Twitter and all they tweet is "My business is great/ read my blog." I don't think those folk get any business from Twitter. Those who get business from Twitter are those who join in (Yes, this is a generalisation!).

As I said, I don't really know LinkedIn that well, but I would bet money the same theory applies. So, if you're going to use LinkedIn, use LinkedIn and get involved.

Also, I would definitely go with the "info@" approach rather than seeking out people's personal email addresses.
  • geek84
    Many thanks for your advice, Monsoon.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I don't 'get' LinkedIn, but my impression is it's more for employers to find candidates than vice versa, though I'm sure it works the other way round too.

The thing to remember is it's a Social Network. So, you need to join in, not just find contact details.

Set up a good profile that acts as your online CV and make yourself sound good. Join relevant groups and disucssions. Interact.

Employers are more likely to take notice of someone they have interacted with, than someone who is only there to find work and doesn't get involved. It's like people who join Twitter and all they tweet is "My business is great/ read my blog." I don't think those folk get any business from Twitter. Those who get business from Twitter are those who join in (Yes, this is a generalisation!).

As I said, I don't really know LinkedIn that well, but I would bet money the same theory applies. So, if you're going to use LinkedIn, use LinkedIn and get involved.

Also, I would definitely go with the "info@" approach rather than seeking out people's personal email addresses.

I'm also sceptical about all this social media business movement. I've got a short training course to do! As some colleagues really believe its the next big thing and we'll be left behind.

I think its good for right sectors of the market, like Stephen Fry gets a lot of attention from tweeting, it will help get information about films and music around. But for many non media business and people "building contacts", I think there will be a lot of wasted time and effort.
  • geek84
    Hi Folks

Any further advice on this topic?
Privacy Policy