tax code help

Options
gsauny21
gsauny21 Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,

im in the process if completing a self assessment for a client and came across something i havent seen before. on the P60 of a private pension my client receives, the final tax code is 781T. can anyone shed some light on this code and how i adjust for this on SA as the tax liability to my client looks a little high. My client has business income and one other private pension too, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    A 'T' suffix means "HMRC aren't really sure."

I would phone HMRC and ask what items were put in the tax code and therefore what needs to go on the relevant boxes in the SA100.
  • zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Monsoon, I know you're far more experienced than me and I'm only looking at this from a payroll perspective rather than a SA one, but I thought the "T" suffix just meant that the code doesn't get uplifted after year end as the "L" codes do?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Heh, I'm not that experienced on PAYE. That's what I was told - I could well be wrong!
  • gsauny21
    gsauny21 Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys, I will contact HMRC just to see if i can get clarity before I go any further.....
  • babsa
    babsa Registered Posts: 118 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I know this an old post but the T code is when you split your tax code between 2 jobs, so for example you earn £6000 at one job and £4000 at your second job you can split the code instead of 1000L it'll be 600L and 400T.
    I was wondering if 25Y is bigger than 46Y? I know the Y as something to do with being over 75.
    Can you shed any light on this?
    Thanks in advance.
Privacy Policy