A Levels.

uknitty
uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
After AAT I have my sights set on securing a training contract in practice. I was hoping that AAT and work experience would be enough to apply for AAT/ACA contracts, but its looking like I am going to have to fulfill the school leaver criteria (in my 30's !) which means I need upwards of 240 UCAS points.

AAT 3 has given me 160 points, but I'll need to get another 80 - 100 from somewhere (Actually if I wanted to include all the music and drama awards I gained in my teens I have waaaaaay more than the required points, but my ability to read and write music probably won't cut it in the application process!)

So, I am looking at doing A levels via distance learning on a fast track 1 year programme. Part of me is tempted to do Accounting - because it will be an easy way to get the UCAS points, although from an expanding my knowledge point of view it will be pointless (see what I did there ?)

The other options would be Economics, Business Studies, Law or Politics and Government.

Has anyone studied any of these subjects at A level ? If so how did you find them ? I'd also be interested to hear people's thoughts about what they would do in my position.

Thanks all - looking forward to hearing from you :)

Comments

• Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I studied Business Studies for one of my A levels, several years ago. It was the easiest of the A Level's I studied. I think you will likely know a lot of the subject matter from general knowledge, your AAT & other previous studies and from watching the news / reading newspapers. Also it is easy to relate a lot of the subject to daily life, for example, types of business ownership, HR & recruitment & Marketing etc.

The other option I would maybe consider for an A Level, if I was in your position would be Economics and this would also link in with Accountancy somewhat, but having never studied this I can't really comment too much.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    I did one year of Law and I loved it!! However it wasn't really anything to do with accountancy as it was criminal law. It was soooo good! (But I love Criminal Minds and Law and Order- so V appealing to me! :))

If you are going to go down the non-accy related route as your choice, then just go for something that you will really enjoy! A chance to do it I suppose!

B x
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    uknitty wrote: Β»
    (Actually if I wanted to include all the music and drama awards I gained in my teens I have waaaaaay more than the required points, but my ability to read and write music probably won't cut it in the application process!)

I know nothing about the process, but do you need UCAS points, or relevant UCAS points?

I thought the point (heh) of UCAS points was to show a certain standard of education, not relevancy. Do check this out first.

My degree major was Music Technology. That's what exempted me from level 2 of AAT so I went in at level 3. With only a sketchy knowledge of double entry at best from a few months work experience.

My mum keeps saying "music is mathematical" so don't discount it. Music theory I am sure uses a similar part of the brain to accounty stuff. Mathematical principles but applied with rules and exceptions etc.
  • uknitty
    Thanks for your replies chaps.

This train of thought about getting A levels is stemming from the Guardian Q&A session. that I took part in the other week.

Personally believe that UCAS points are designed to assess your suitability for university in the instance of not having work experience. I had hoped that having had a good work history (albeit in recruitment not finance) and having completed AAT and CFAB in under 2 years would demonstrate my competence, commitment and commercial awareness. But apparently not.

I really want to have a few years in auditing, not necessarily for the top 4, but mid tier.

I keep hitting a stumbling block as all the vacancies for non graduates that I have seen ask for X amount of UCAS points. There is no flexibility in this in the hiring process. Applications get screened on if you tick the minimum criteria. Not enough points ? Sorry we won't even send you an application form !

Gaining UCAS points seems to be a maddeningly frustrating (and pointless) excericse, but one that I may possibly have to play along with...

EDIT Monsoon I have ABRSM Grade 8 in theory, voice and piano, but I've not toched a piano in 10 years and as for singing.... um just no ! It seems a bit silly that I could put those down and suddenly meet the criteria...I guess my point is the same as yours - do I just need points for the sake of having points or should the points be from related subjects.....
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    ith...

EDIT Monsoon I have ABRSM Grade 8 in theory, voice and piano, but I've not toched a piano in 10 years and as for singing.... um just no ! It seems a bit silly that I could put those down and suddenly meet the criteria...I guess my point is the same as yours - do I just need points for the sake of having points or should the points be from related subjects.....

And that's just what you have to find out before going backwards and taking A Levels! :)

Grade 8 is not silly, it's very impressive. I gave up at level 3 theory (sheer lazy teenager) - it gets very complex very quickly and though it's not directly related to accounts, the way your brain has to work is very similar. Music theory as opposed to performance is not so much creative, there are strict rules and forms to learn. I wouldn't discredit it so quickly.

I hope you can use them: Grade 8 music is impressive; getting A levels for tke sake of making up your UCAS points shows commitment but it's got less impact, IMO.
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I though CFAB would be enough to do ACA? Isnt it CFAB the one that exempts you from 5 ACA exams? Im a bit confused as to why they would ask you to take A levels when you have CFAB? experience or no experience?
  • uknitty
    Jow I signed up for CFAB thinking exactly what you just said, but I've looked at the training vacancy pages on ICAEW's website and they all require a minimum of 260 UCAS points. I've approached a couple of places to find out if there will be flexiblity in this requirement if I already have CFAB and AAT4 but the answer seems to be "no, our hiring criteria is our hiring criteria"

I've asked for advice and assistance from ICAEW regarding AAT/ACA for people who are changing careers (as opposed to just leaving school which is what most of the vacancies seem to be aimed at) and I just get directed back to the training vacancy page....

http://trainingvacancies.icaew.com

Monsoon, I remember practically having a meltdown studying for my music exams. Definitely very hard work and yes, music and maths are very very similar , my two favorite subjects in school. Although I am only 33 it seems such a long long time ago now !
  • jow774
    Thats a bit shocking as they advertise CFAB as a possible route to ACA and yet the CFAB entry requirements are none! I thought AAT level 4 gave about 260 points though as it gets you onto the second year of a degree.

If you have AAT and CFAB can you still do the fast track? Couldnt you just apply for a standard ACA contract job? I think to enter fast track you have to only be on level 3 AAT and no more?
  • jow774
    Scrap the bit about level 3 Im on about something else. It does seem odd though that you need ucas points when your part way through the qualification?

You could try saying you have the necessary ucas points and try applying as so and see if you get any further.

You could also try signing up for the available student register as you have completed CFAB. That is for students who are part way through, it may be worth a try.
  • uknitty
    Jow - the available student register ! What a fantastic idea. I hadn't thought of that!

I am registered as a CFAB student because I wanted to used the ICAEW's website resources, and also I want to claim my exemptions as soon as I get the relevant units signed off at AAT level 4. To complete CFAB I only need to do 1 unit (Law) and then the Accounting top up Paper. So yes, I guess I am an available student.

I'm going to the Liverpool careers event on 12th October, and also hoping to go to the Women in Accounts event in London on 21 November. Hopefully I can get the answers I need there :)
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰

I'm going to the Liverpool careers event on 12th October, and also hoping to go to the Women in Accounts event in London on 21 November. Hopefully I can get the answers I need there :)

I was also planning on going to the event in Moorgate on the 21st... do you know if we have to pay for the event? From what I can see it is free but thought I'd ask as I don't know anyone else going.
  • uknitty
    I've just booked my ticket to travel down from North Wales for the day.

Yes the event is free, but you need to have registered in advance as spaces are limited.
Privacy Policy