Advice on completing the spreadsheets software unit

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Folks

I am studying the AAT via distance learning and on the advice of my tutor, I an thinkng of completing the spreadsheets unit using work based evidence (rather than sitting the assessment), since I use spreadsheets every day at work.

However, I only started my new office based job last week doing full time credit control. I have not mentioned to my employer the fact that I am studying the AAT. I get the feeling that if I do mention it, he may get the impression that I am looking for a better job than just credit control. However, if I decide to complete the sreadsheets unit using work based evidence, then obviously I need to mention this to my new employer.

I don't think it would be a good idea for 2 reasons -

1. I have only joined the company last week, and signed a contract agreeing to do a credit control job, and it may be too early to mention this work based evidence since the employer may think I am being a bit cheeky.

2. As mentioned above, I get the feeling that if I do mention it, the employer may get the impression that I am looking for a better job than just credit control.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Any advice would be grately appreciated.

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hello Geek

Having spoken to my assessor (by email) and my manager there were various issues to consider with regards to work based evidence one being confidentiality of data.

In the end I sat the CBP and preferred this to work based evidence as I knew that I would cover all the criteria in one 'exam' rather than need to submit and map different spreadsheets to the various learning outcome areas etc. for marking by the assessor.

I think you will also find it a lot quicker to study the material and sit the CBP which is allocated 2.5 hours.

There may be other students who completed this module by work based evidence and I'm sure that they would be happy to tell you what/how they went about it.

Hope this helps a little in your decision making.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    geek84 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I am studying the AAT via distance learning and on the advice of my tutor, I an thinkng of completing the spreadsheets unit using work based evidence (rather than sitting the assessment), since I use spreadsheets every day at work.

However, I only started my new office based job last week doing full time credit control. I have not mentioned to my employer the fact that I am studying the AAT. I get the feeling that if I do mention it, he may get the impression that I am looking for a better job than just credit control. However, if I decide to complete the sreadsheets unit using work based evidence, then obviously I need to mention this to my new employer.

I don't think it would be a good idea for 2 reasons -

1. I have only joined the company last week, and signed a contract agreeing to do a credit control job, and it may be too early to mention this work based evidence since the employer may think I am being a bit cheeky.

2. As mentioned above, I get the feeling that if I do mention it, the employer may get the impression that I am looking for a better job than just credit control.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Any advice would be grately appreciated.

Hi Geek84,

I wouldn't worry in the slightest. I started my current job in 2009 and I asked to get information for the health and safety and personal effectiveness unit - this was about 2 mths after I started.

I dont think that your boss would think it was cheeky as you are developing your career and I am sure him/er would have some sort of qualification! Its not like they would have done the same job all their like?

Who are you studying with?

Martin
  • geek84
    Hi Folks

Many thanks for your replies.

I am studying with Premier Training.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Dear geek84

There were quite a lot of students in my class last year who had extensive spreadsheet experience at work.

They all took the assessment rather than use work place evidence. The advantage of that was that there was no question of whether a piece of evidence was sufficient. It also saved the need to collect the evidence. Instead, they turned up, sat the assessment in class, I marked it, and they passed. For them, it was much more straight forward.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • geek84
    Hi Sandy

Many thanks for your reply. What you have stated did cross my mind particulary due to the fact that I only started my credit control job last week!

However, my provider seems to be encouraging me to complete the assessment via work based evidence, giving the reasons below -

there’s no exam / assessment fee to pay

you don’t have to take a day out of your life

it’s not ‘pass’ or ‘fail’ so there’s less pressure / stress

I presume you still think that it would be better to take the assessment?

Regards
  • ykwong1978
    ykwong1978 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    I think I will prefer sitting the CBA. I don't think that this will be too difficult, and at least I just need to produce what they ask for during the assessment.

But it really is your choice to make.

If the positives outweigh the negatives then go for the WBE.

Good luck in your decision
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    What provider are you with geek84?

I'm with BPP, and granted I'm studying the WEAF unit, but the cost of the assessment is included in the price I'm paying. Either way they still need to mark your assessment, whether its work based evidence or an exam. I think its wrong that they are trying to push you one way or the other. Just remember ITs. YOUR. CHOICE. They can not force you to one or the other.

You are the client, your paying for a service. I think people forget that as students we still have a right to feel we get value for money, for example I'm a bit disappointed that the WEAF unit i paid for, all the online information provided is for the work based evidence, not for completing the assessment. If i was able to buy the exam separately then i could have saved myself about £60. The tutor was next to useless, and kept telling me to do work based evidence even though i said that i didn't work in finance, she also told me i had to complete the unit within five weeks, which i wasn't told when i bought it, so i ignored her and went straight to the BPP centre in maidstone, and they couldn't be more helpful. Perhaps this is an option for you?

At the end of the day, its your decision. Do what makes you feel comfortable and will be easier for you pass the exam. Not what makes your supplier happy.

Oh and you can still 'pass' or 'fail' you have up to three (i think) attempts to submit everything. If its still not good enough, you can fail.

I see that your studying with premier training, do they not have a centre you can take the exam at?
  • geek84
    Hi Folks

Many thanks for your advice.

I am studying with Premier Training but sit all my cba exams at a BPP centre, which is near to me.

I am now thinking of completing the spreadsheets unit by assessment.

Have any of you or your friends done it before? If so, what particular topics of the spreadsheet module do you think I should most concentrate on OR likely to be tested in the assessment?

Many thanks in advance for your reply.
Privacy Policy