Technical compliance course

Barry
Barry Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Anybody from here going to the technical compliance course at ACCA in London on 14th October. Be great to meet up if you are. I am going with 2 colleagues. The lecturer is Steve Collings , the same one as on here I believe. Steve it will be nice to meet you also.

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Steve would love you to ask him whether you should disclose dividends in related party transactions!!

(He's taken a bit of a beating on accountingweb about it)
  • Barry
    Barry Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I once asked a question on there and they're a real nasty bunch. I never asked since and it wasn't s basic question it just went into an argument. I have never visited since and never want to. Hopefully Steve gave as good as he got.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Steve would love you to ask him whether you should disclose dividends in related party transactions!!

(He's taken a bit of a beating on accountingweb about it)

Haha! You get used to it! Every lecturer on the CPD circuit will tell you that there are some accountants who just don't like what you tell them and if it is not what they want to hear, off on the defensive they go.

Yes I am the lecturer at ACCA on 14.10.11 and look forward to meeting you (and anyone else who might be attending from here) on the morning.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'll be there.
  • Bluewednesday
    Go on Dean, I dare you to ask him and then argue whether it should be disclosed or not - he'll love it (wooden spoon now put away)
  • deanshepherd
    No, he'll have his arguments ready for that one. I'll have to find something really obscure.

Maybe disclosures relating to an investment in an LLP where profit-sharing ratios differ from capital ratios..
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    How do I get details of this course?
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    may be advertised on the ACCA forums/website?
  • deanshepherd
    Glynis wrote: ยป

It is probably a bit beneath you Glynis.

You could probably deliver the course yourself.
  • Glynis
    I was thinking it might help in my work and my studies actually.
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Glynis wrote: ยป

http://uk.accaglobal.com/uk/members/professional_courses/events/

You're welcome ;)
  • Glynis
    Thank you. Someone had sent me the link,
    Is it right that they want ยฃ65 for this? Surely there must be some consessions available. AAT put on free courses so why on earth are The ACCA charging this? It's scandalous.
  • Bluewednesday
    ACCA put on branch events for free as do AAT.

These courses are charged for as are some AAT CPD courses. They've had to pay speakers, hire rooms etc. Of course they charge for it - it's not scandalous at all!
  • Glynis
    Even so ยฃ65 is incredibly expensive. Does anyone know if they offer aCCA student members a discount considering we have to pay subscriptions and exam fees as well?
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    The last AAT mastercourse I went on cost much more than ยฃ65. For a speaker like Steve at ACCA level ยฃ65 is well worth it IMO.
  • Glynis
    What really angers me is that it just seems to be all taking with ACCA. I've spent nearly ยฃ1000 on just one exam since I started ACCA and they don't even give discount on there courses. That's what is scandalous. I have also written to PQ magazine about this as I am really annoyed with it.
  • Bluewednesday
    No concessions, this is generally meant as CPD for qualified members who pay a lot more in subscriptions than student membership!

Maybe you should resign in protest at ACCA's fees!
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Glynis

ACCA will charge its members for these types of courses as Annette has correctly said they are for CPD purposes. You should be aware that courses like this are NOT tutorial courses like BPP/Kaplan offer - they are not for a specific ACCA paper (indeed I no longer lecture for students anymore) - they are for ACCA members in practice. The course I am presenting is specifically for those involved in the preparation of statutory accounts for clients (or company, for accountants in industry), hence why the brochures advertising these sorts of courses are only sent to ACCA members.

You need to be aware of this before committing to the seminar to avoid further disappointment. In any event, I would not advise coming on this course if you are not directly involved in the production of statutory financial statements.

Regards
    Steve
  • Glynis
    I know that Steve but I am trying to find a job in an accountancy office. ACCA don't teach you how to do that do they? I thought that by attending this course I will get a sight of what needs to be done but I cannot afford to pay ยฃ65 seeing as I have to pay yet another blasted examination fee to them.
    It is clear that we students don't get any help or support to progress ourselves. You would have at least thought that courses organised by them would have carried a discount.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Why on earth should ACCA teach you how to get a job in practice?!

Glynis put the money towards a tutorial course instead and if you begrudge paying the exam fee so much don't sit the exam!
  • RAS
    RAS Registered Posts: 124 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Glynis, I very much doubt that attending this course will help you find a job in practice. It does appear that it is geared for people who are already in practice preparing accounts for clients. I really don`t think complaining about course fees is going to help you at all. Most courses, both AAT and ACCA are paid events, that is the way it is.
  • deanshepherd
    Maybe you should resign in protest at ACCA's fees!

Great idea!

Take a stand Glynis.
Privacy Policy