AAT Achievement Awards Ceremony

Henry
Henry Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
Received an invitation to the upcoming AAT Achievement Awards ceremonies taking place up and down the country this autumn. Anyone attending? Anyone attended in the past and what was your experience if you don't mind sharing? I have to think carefully about whether or not to attend because they are being held in the evenings from 6pm onwards.

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I have been, a few years ago now but there was a free buffet, an opportunity to have your photo in a gown, and an award ceremony. Plus a chance to meet other before and after. Overall a fairly good evening.
    Regards,

Burg
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    I don't know much about AAT award ceromonies ! Sounds interesting :)

What is it - a sort of graduation for students who have completed their exams, or for those who have gone from student members to MAAT ?
  • Henry
    Henry Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    @Burg,
    Thanks. The info I receive didn't mention anything about gowns so don't know if we would receive one on arrival - they did mention that we would receive a comemorative certificate though. They may have changed the format so would like to hear from some recent attendees as well.

@uknitty,
    Yes I believe it is a form of graduation ceremony but I am not sure if it is only open to members or if it is open to students who passed but not taken up membership. I am a recent MAAT though.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    There will be a photographer present with gowns for you to borrow. You don't need to take a gown with you.
    Regards,

Burg
  • oli
    oli Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    Received an invitation today but I think I am too far away from where they are being held, I live in Nottingham. It's good that AAT have these cermonies though :-)
  • oh confused one
    oh confused one Registered Posts: 128 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I haven't received any invite yet!!!!! - do you need to have paid your fees before you get one as my last payment goes out 1st October?????
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    AAT Award Ceremonies
    uknitty wrote: Β»
    I don't know much about AAT award ceromonies ! Sounds interesting :)

What is it - a sort of graduation for students who have completed their exams, or for those who have gone from student members to MAAT ?

Hi uknitty, just found the following on the AAT website:

"When you’ve completed your AAT payroll or accounting qualification, you can celebrate at one of our Achievement Award ceremonies.

Attending a ceremony is a great way to mark your success and share a special occasion with friends, family and colleagues.

All eligible members will receive booking forms shortly. In the meantime, further details on ceremony dates, locations and more can be found online."
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    I received too the invitation, but I dont know if I'm going to attend...me too I'd like to know how was the last one (if there is a free gown or not)
  • stephleedz
    stephleedz Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I would love to know as much about this as possible if anyone has been before as I would really like to go once (fingers crossed) I have qualified. Where abouts are they located etc. I couldn't find any info on AAT website unless anyone has a specific link to a particular page?

Thanks

Steph
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    They are held in London, Sutton Coldfield, Manchester, Bristol and York.....................none in Scotland note! :mad:
  • Fireraiser
    Fireraiser Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    I'm going to the Bristol one. There are none in Wales either, maybe AAT presentation team are scared of Celts ;)

Cheapest photos are Β£40 though, dunno if I want to spend that on top of the travel, overnight stay and Β£20 for my guest. It all starts adding up and I'm a tightwad.
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi all,
    Did anyone go to the Awards ceremony last year? what was it like?
    Does anyone know if they will be doing the same this year?
    Thanks, GP
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    GP there is an article about the Achievement Ceremonies in the most recent issue of Accounting Technician. I don't think I can link to it here, but if you log in to your MyAAT account you can read the online version.

It has details of all the dates and venues for this year's ceremonies as well as the deadlines to complete your full membership application in order to attend this years ceremony. I think I am going to miss this year by about 2 or 3 weeks as I won't have enough work experience until the end of September.... Gutted !
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Same here uknitty. It would be nice if there were a ceremony for students to celebrate passing all exams/completing the qualification but for one reason or another do not/cannot apply for full membership.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • guinea pig
    Thanks, Unknitty - how frustrating with the timing!
    Thanks, Jo - I had looked on my AAT, but couldn't find it! So Friday 26th October looks a possibility.
    GP
  • guinea pig
    Hi all,
    Has anyone heard anything about the next awards ceremony? I have just returned from holiday and was hoping to have received information? The holiday was wonderful - the first September one in 3 years where I was not accompanied by AAT text books, and guilt at missing class!
    Good luck to everyone starting the new study year.
    GP
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Here are some photos from last year's AAT Achievement Awards in London, which may at least give you a feel for the event. I went along (I may do so this year as well) and I have to say it was great as an AAT employee to see members being recognised for their hard work.

The president called each person up on stage to collect their certificate (only briefly, not too embarrassing!) and it was lovely to see so many smiles from those who received them.

Also last year's event didn't go on too long - I think it was all over by about 9.30/10pm, which was good for those who need to travel a distance to get home.
  • guinea pig
    Hi Stuart,
    It looks great!
    When do the invites go out? I was elected MAAT in June, and have not received one yet.
    GP
  • StuartW
    Hi GP - I understand they're being sent out this week, so you should get yours soon.
  • susipow
    susipow Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Awards Ceremony 2012

Does anyone know if children are allowed to attend the award ceremony as a guest? I would like to take my husband and 7 year old son along. Also, I missed out on my graduation with my training provider to collect my diploma in cap/gown as they would not allow me to attend because I sat my final exam with a different training provider :sad: Does anyone know if there is a cap/gown photo opportunity at these ceremonies?

Thanks
    :001_smile:
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    susipow wrote: Β»
    Does anyone know if children are allowed to attend the award ceremony as a guest? I would like to take my husband and 7 year old son along. Also, I missed out on my graduation with my training provider to collect my diploma in cap/gown as they would not allow me to attend because I sat my final exam with a different training provider :sad: Does anyone know if there is a cap/gown photo opportunity at these ceremonies?

Thanks

Hi Susipow,

Children are allowed to attend the awards ceremony, although some venues do have a minimum age restriction
    of ten years old https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/content/item2924/. I've heard that a professional
    photographer will be at the ceremony, which will allow you the opportunity to take a photo in a cap/gown.

Hope this helps :)

Aaron
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • susipow
    susipow Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks Aaron, I think I will check that out with the venue. Thanks for the info re the photographer. Do you happen to know if the photographer provides a cap/gown to use for the photograph or do you take your own?

Thanks for your help :thumbup1:

susipow
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    susipow wrote: Β»
    Thanks Aaron, I think I will check that out with the venue. Thanks for the info re the photographer. Do you happen to know if the photographer provides a cap/gown to use for the photograph or do you take your own?

Thanks for your help

susipow

No worries Susipow :thumbup1: I think that the photographer provides the cap/gown but I'm not sure tbh. Could
    somebody else please clarify thanks.

Aaron
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • StuartW
    Hi, I've checked this with colleagues and got this information...

"I'm afraid children under 14 are not allowed as there is alcohol at the events."

"Attendees do not need to hire a cap and gown, the dress code is smart/formal. They can purchase photos on the evening through Success Photography, who will have caps and gowns with them should members wish to have a photo in one."

Hope that helps - sorry to break the bad news regarding the age restriction.
  • oldun
    oldun Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Jo Clark wrote: Β»
    Same here uknitty. It would be nice if there were a ceremony for students to celebrate passing all exams/completing the qualification but for one reason or another do not/cannot apply for full membership.

I agree. I suspect many of these students struggle hard to get the qualifications having to self fund and study around family and work commitments, not being given day releases or employer funding or the benefit of relating the knowledge learned in an accounting or financial environment.
    I intended to only complete level 3 myself but have just enrolled for the great step to study level 4 (well seems a shame not to...) but will never be able to provide the required work experience, being a self employed person, for full membership.

To all those attending the awards ceremonies. Well done and have a great time.
    And to all those who can't. Well done and have a great time anyway.

Oldun
  • gill65
    gill65 Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ⭐
    Shame I can't make one, I am on holiday for the London one, the others are too far away. Can I go next year if we can't make this years perhaps, just a thought?
  • vickie88
    vickie88 Registered Posts: 58 Epic contributor 🐘
    I got my full membership on friday 28/09/12 but I have not been invited to an awards ceremony. When i rang the AAT they said I will have to wait till next year now which is a bit rubbish =(
Privacy Policy