only a bookkeeper....

Paul C
Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I was told that annoying comment today " they are only a bookkeeper, not really an accountant".....almost as annoying as when you hear "only AAT" aarrrggh

Anyway they soon changed their mind when I explained that a local bookkeeper I know charges £17.50 per hour and is turning work away (not me!).....

Comments

• TreadStone
    TreadStone Registered Posts: 280 Epic contributor 🐘
    Paul C wrote: »
    I was told that annoying comment today " they are only a bookkeeper, not really an accountant".....almost as annoying as when you hear "only AAT" aarrrggh

Anyway they soon changed their mind when I explained that a local bookkeeper I know charges £17.50 per hour and is turning work away (not me!).....

There'll always be comments like this flying about - it's the way of the world. In a way, I can understand it as I've come across a few terrbible BK's down the years classing themselves as Accountants BUT equally I know some really good BK's happy to remain just that, and some duff advice from "Accountants". Take it all with a pinch 'o salt.

I also think £17.50 is a reasonable/sensible rate for a quality BK. They can be hard to find at times...
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Well well well.

Someone who doesn't know when the noun is plural or singular and who probably has similar ill conceived ideas about the difference between a book keeper and an accountant.

It is a name, but all of us who are accountants keep books.

Nothing "only" about it
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • TreadStone
    Is that reply aimed at me ? Must be as I'm the only one to reply.

I only said I can UNDERSTAND comments as heard by the OP. I didn't say I agreed with them. I hear such comments all the time. It's other peoples' perceptions of the difference between the two not mine.

And please don't lecture on grammer (is that the correct spelling ??). That isn't the top concern when posting replies.
  • Paul C
    Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thanks for your replies Treadstone , I do value you them and can see you that you were not being negative about anyone.

Sandy, I agree that many accountants do bookkeeping as well as accounts. I explained that to the person in question as well. I am just starting out as an MIP and would be proud to build up some steady bookkeeping work.

£17.50 in Plymouth is a very very good hourly rate. That alone is enough to widen people's image of bookkeepers.

Be happy all
    Paul
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Paul C wrote: »

Treadstone
    I am sorry that you thought I was referring to you. I wasn't.

The rather pompous person who Paul had heard was the subject.

He or she might be a bookkeeper, but they would have to be bookkeepers.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • TreadStone
    Sandy, my apologies also. It seems I picked up on your post in the wrong context.

We live and learn.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Maybe you need to be an accountant to understand the importance of a good "bookkeeper".
Privacy Policy