Anyone working two jobs?

Options
Siobhan Carmel
Siobhan Carmel Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi Folks

Just wondered if there are many people out there working two jobs, ie working for two different employers, or maybe 2 days in own business and 3 for an employer.

How do you find it? Is it really stressful? Is it easy to swap from one system to another?

Or is it rare for people in accountancy to do two different jobs?

Regards

Siobhan

Comments

• deborahcarpenter
    deborahcarpenter Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I have 2 jobs!!! I qualified AAT in September and I work part time doing accounts for a local charity (28 hrs per week) and also run my own bookkeeping business from home.
    Im lucky because we use Sage at work and i also use it at home. My boss is a chartered accountant so he is also my mentor whilst i study ATT.
    I thought i would have a break from studying for a while but decided to carry straight on with ATT and hopefully qualify in may next year. Luckily i did business tax at AAT level so i only have to do 3 more papers for ATT to qualify. Anyone else doing ATT?
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Me too, am employed 2 days one week 3 days the next and so on. Run my own small practice the other days, and yes it can get stressful swapping from one to the other!

Am also doing ATT but finding very little time to study at the moment. Are you sitting an exam in November Deborah?
  • gallow
    gallow Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I also work 2 jobs. One with Sports Charity (16 hours) and one with Estate Management (20 hours). I do charity in the morning and Estate agents afternoons. As the companies are in unrelated sectors, you can get confused. The drawback is I spend my lunch in a car travelling between premises. I am lucky though because both my employers are flexible. And I have two sources of income!

Mike
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Me too, I work in practice 2 days a week, in business 2 days and housewife the other. Oh and I occassionally get time for my kids (mustnt forget that), lol.

I find it a bit stressful, remembering to swap and change between management accountant and financial accountant.
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    One job would be pretty good at the minute for me.
    I just can't seem to find anything at present with the economy so flat.
    I'm sure quite a few people work two jobs if part-time is all you can get.
  • zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I work part time, 12 hours a week and also do a small amount of payroll/bookkeeping on a self employed basis. I finished my AAT level 4 this July and am relieved to have some time back as I also volunteer on my son's pre-school committee as well as being a housewife and mother! I like the way I can fit it all around the kids so that I can still do the school runs etc.

There seems to be a few both part and full time jobs in Cornwall at the moment in the accounting sector. Maybe it's time to move :)
  • gallow
    gallow Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I agree that it's hard to find a job in Accounting these days if you don't have experience. I got mine through the college (my tutor told me there's going to be part time vacancy in a company, so I jumped on it, Thanks Bob). From there it was way easier to get the other one. Suddenly I was getting a lot of interviews. I qualified in August and will become MAAT in January (one year FULL time experience needed).After almost 2 years of trying to get my foot in I was lucky. So will you I am sure. AAT is great help in getting the job. Worked for me.

Mike
  • deborahcarpenter
    deborahcarpenter Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    jilt wrote: »
    Me too, am employed 2 days one week 3 days the next and so on. Run my own small practice the other days, and yes it can get stressful swapping from one to the other!

Am also doing ATT but finding very little time to study at the moment. Are you sitting an exam in November Deborah?

No, like you i am finding little time to study. I am exempt from Business tax and only have to do 3 papers so i am doing all 3 next May!!
    How about you?
Privacy Policy