0T Tax code

amyjayne27
amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi all,

Have no idea if this is in the right place but thought I would try! My friend works in Boots, and has recently moved offices. This is the ONLY change. Her payslip this month however has a very high rate of tax deducted as she is on an OT code. Can anyone shed some light on this? She was on standard 747l before, so have no idea why shes on this strange code now.

Thank you

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    She should have had a tax coding letter come to her home address if HMRC have changed the code.

She should ring her tax office ASAP to find out what's happened.

If HMRC have not issued a new code, she needs to speak to her employer and kick someone's posterior! ;)
  • amyjayne27
    Thanks Monsoon will pass that on and see what she says.

Many thanks
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    The OT tax code issued, is a new tax code, which HMRC have started to used this year.

It replaces the old BR tax code used.

It is supposed to be used where an employee commences employment without providing a P45 to the employer, where a code has not been issued by HMRC and the employee fails to provide specified information required in a P46 form.

Perhaps your friend you speak to her payroll depaertment and ask if you can complete a P46 form in the interim, until HMRC issue a code, in case this takes a while.
  • amyjayne27
    Oh brilliant thanks Claire have let my friend know so thanks very much for that.

Amy
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If your friend has only moved offices, presumably she has not changed employers, and so that in and of itself should not have triggered P45/P46 procedures. I'd still definitely take it up with the tax office too.
  • amyjayne27
    Thanks to both of you, she finally got through to HMRC and they said exactly the same as you have, and indeed the p45 was never sent from old store to new store.

Thanks for your help!
Privacy Policy