Starting Level 3 in September

Sulew17
Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi,

I'm a 'mature student' starting Level 3 at my local college in September. My tutor has told me that we're starting with Costs & Revenues as this is the worst module! Have already started reading my book and, must say, so far I agree with her! I've also looked at Prof Ethics, which I was dreading, but it's not too bad. I even tried out the online CBA and, much to my surprise, only got 2 questions wrong!

Am really looking forward to Spreadsheets as I have used Excel for years and there shouldn't be too much that I need to learn on this one.

I was really worried about going back to college last year (after so many years) but really loved it and shocked myself by passing everything first time! I would like to do ACCA after Level 4 but at my age (no I'm not telling!) feel that I should probably go for ATT instead. I must be crazy but I really like tax and can't wait for Personal & Business Tax when I get to Level 4!

Anyone else starting Level 3 that wants to share their thoughts or even bounce ideas about the course or anything else please join this thread! I'd love to hear how others find Level 3 and if we can help each other then great!

Su
ยซ1

Comments

• mrb82
    mrb82 Registered Posts: 147 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Su!

I too start level 3 in September, and I'm looking forward to Tax :)

My long term goal is to gain AAT qualification, then go on to ACCA/CIMA. I'm not sure which yet. I've been thinking ACCA for a while, but recently have started to swing towards CIMA.

I was wondering if it's worth carrying on with AAT, or whether I should go straight for the chartered stuff so I can qualify sooner and get a better job in accounts!

Good luck!

Dan
  • Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi, I would say do the AAT level 4 if your wanting to go higher. this way you get a good understanding of the accounts and you will be allowed to miss out some of the ACCA/CIMA exams, since they hace been covered in level 4
    I have justfinished my level 3, soon to start level 4.
    Yes its hard work, but when I passed, I can say it was all worth it.
  • Sulew17
    mrb82 wrote: ยป
    Hi Su!

I was wondering if it's worth carrying on with AAT, or whether I should go straight for the chartered stuff so I can qualify sooner and get a better job in accounts!

Hi Dan

I think it's well worth carrying on with AAT before moving on to CIMA or ACCA. Once you qualify with AAT you get exemptions if you go on to take Chartered.

I leaned more towards ACCA because I like the financial side more than management - our class is split 50/50 on this as well!

Good luck

Su
  • Sulew17
    Hi Diddy Mau

Well done on completing Level 3 and best of luck with Level 4. I want to get L3 finished so I can start L4 but will have to wait until next September!

Su
  • rajani556
    rajani556 Registered Posts: 5 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    which college?
  • Sulew17
    which college?

Newcastle College. Where are you studying?
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Su

I'm starting level 3 in September at Harrogate college, seems we've all been told the same as I've started looking at Costing and Revenue, the first bit the same as level2 but now in un known territory. I'm looking forward to tax as well, we must be mad! If I do go onto anything at the end it will be ATT.

I wasn't sure about going back to college as I'm a mature student as well, but found the group very mixed and we all worked well together, we even set up a face book site so we could study together, looking forward to level 3, but with working full time as well know it will be tough.

Jan
  • Sulew17
    Hi Jan

Nice to hear I'm not the only one looking forward to tax! My group at college are great too - all ages from about 19 upwards - but we all get on well and help each other when necessary.

I've also started looking at my C&R and like you found it similar to level 2 but not for long!

Unfortunately, I don't work as I care for my mother full-time. That's one of the reasons I wanted to do this course, so that I can start working from home around my mum. The only 'free time' I have is on my college day as mum has someone to care for her then. I study at night and as and when I can during the day but, since I'm enjoying the course, that's not a hardship!

Good luck with the course and maybe we could help each other if (when) we get stuck?

Su
  • deedi
    deedi Registered Posts: 6 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    L3 here I come

I'm starting level 3 in September but am going for home study
  • anwarbiggy
    anwarbiggy Registered Posts: 14 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi Ladies and Gents,
    I thought i would list the difficulty of units from easiest to hardest (for me anyway, lol)

1. Spreadsheets
    2. Professional ethics
    3. Accounts preparation 1
    4. Accounts preparation 2
    5. Indirect Tax
    6. Cash Management
    7. Costs and Revenues

Costs and revenues should be taught after AP1 and 2
  • Sharleen
    Sharleen Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi all

I started L3 in September too having done L2. Just did my first exam (AP1) on Wednesday and passed! Got AP2 at the end of the month. I just buy the books and then study from home and book an exam with whichever provider has the best dates. This is working fine so far, we'll see as it gets harder though!

I don't know whether to go on to CIMA or not, be interested to hear your thoughts. I am the sole accounts person (amongst other things) in an office of 21 staff and so far everything I've learned in AAT I already do but have just never officially studied it. I'm wondering if I'll get AAT and then just aim for becoming qualified by experience? I'm the wrong side of 30 and might want to start a family at some point so if I start CIMA next year, even with the exemptions, I just don't know if I'd get all the way through it.

Oh well, got a little while to work it out I guess!
  • anisurrahman
    anisurrahman Registered Posts: 130 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi All

I am doing Level 3 as well... :) after completing AAT Level 4 I will decide whether I should go for ACCA or CIMA
  • mrb82
    I'm thinking of going on to study ACCA after AAT, as I quite like the idea of working in practice!

I'm starting level 3 tomorrow at South Staffs College...
  • Sulew17
    As I'm the 'wrong side' of 40 I've decided against going for ACCA or CIMA because they'll take too long to complete. As I want to be a MIP I might go for ATT so I can do more tax work. Our tutor is ACCA but says she wishes she had done CIMA because she prefers Management Accounts to Financial. I prefer Financial so would have done ACCA.

We've started with Costs & Revenues & Cash Management - looking to take exams end of November but it's up to the college. I think we'll be starting AP1 & 2 in December / January.

Sharleen, well done for taking AP1 so quickly and passing - that's great. Good luck with AP2.

Su
  • janwal
    Hi Su

Started back at college yesterday, we had to fill in a profile same as we did for level 2, found last year I put ACCA as continuation, this year decided on ATT.

Were starting on AP1 and Spreadsheets, hoping to do Spreedsheets and Ethics exams by Christmas, AP1 in January. Spreedsheets should be ok as I use them everyday at work and I did a course with Kaplan in July.

Well done Sharleen, we may be calling for help!

Jan
  • Sulew17
    Hi Jan

We've started with Costs & Revenues in the mornings and Cash Management in the afternoon's - my brain is aching but I'm really enjioying it! I've definitely decided to do ATT too - hopefully we can help each other there too!

We should be taking the two exams in November / December and will then go on to AP1 & 2. I think spreadsheets will be our last one but not too sure yet.

Keep in touch and enjoy your course.

Su
  • anisurrahman
    anisurrahman Registered Posts: 130 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello

We have started with Indirect Tax and Costs and Revenues. So far - loving it :o)
  • mrb82
    We've started with Ethics :(
  • Sammmy88
    Sammmy88 Registered Posts: 283 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I started with AP1 followed by AP2 and now finished CRS. And hoping to retake AP2 and take CRS early October, and ITX at the end of October.
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

Awaiting to start CIMA :)
  • Sharleen
    I wonder if there is a 'correct' order to do them in? Or an order that makes more sense? I'm just making it up!

Interesting that some of you are going for ATT, I've never looked at that, will do now.

I also slightly have a dream of setting up my own bookkeeping business which can be done with AAT and registering with the IAB. Whether I'd ever have the guts is another matter!

Good luck all.
  • Carl168
    Carl168 Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor โญ
    hi, i started lvl 3 aswell this year. Currently doing AP1 and C & R with AP1 examine in december
  • Sulew17
    hi, i started lvl 3 aswell this year. Currently doing AP1 and C & R with AP1 examine in december

Good luck Carl - let us know how you get on.

Su
  • Sammmy88
    How's everyone doing with their studies?
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

• Sulew17
    Level 3 so far
    How's everyone doing with their studies?

Really enjoying Costs & Revenues - not as bad as I had feared! We did process costing today which I thought was really easy - although the work we did was pretty repetitious. Slightly confused with apportionment but I think it's falling into place at last! We're also doing cash management which seems really long winded! Although we covered forecasting / moving averages / 3 & 5 point moving averages today which, again wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be!

Am loving my course and wish I had done it years ago! Can't wait to qualify and become MIP.

Su
  • celticghirl
    celticghirl Registered Posts: 20 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    hello all, also just about to embark on level 3, distance learning (got WEAF on wednesday to finish 2)

does anyone have any recommendations on the order to study the units?

was just planning on starting with AP1 and AP2

Thanks

Celticghirl
  • janwal
    hello all, also just about to embark on level 3, distance learning (got WEAF on wednesday to finish 2)

does anyone have any recommendations on the order to study the units?

was just planning on starting with AP1 and AP2

Thanks

Celticghirl
    Hi celticgirl

Hope WEAF goes ok for you.

Are you studying 1 unit at a time or planning to do 2, because I would suggest AP1 and one of the smaller ones like spreadsheets or ethics, mind you saying that we are doing all those 3 together at college.

Although our AP1 lesson this week became a 2hr lecture on VAT from HMRC, which I must admit I found quite interesting (I know I'm mad)

Let us know what you decide

Jan
  • Sammmy88
    Glad to hear all is going well with people's studies! I am loving the course! Go 3 exams coming up, and then onto the next unit! :-)
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

• Sharleen
    Got indirect tax on Saturday then one exam per fortnight until the end of November! If I can pass them all and do the spreadsheets exam at work in December then I'll be on to level 4 in the new year.

Some modules seem way bigger than others, indirect tax is tiny! Cash management next.

Good luck all.
  • Sulew17
    Got indirect tax on Saturday then one exam per fortnight until the end of November! If I can pass them all and do the spreadsheets exam at work in December then I'll be on to level 4 in the new year.

Some modules seem way bigger than others, indirect tax is tiny! Cash management next.

Good luck all.

Good luck for Saturday! Let us know how you get on.

Su
  • janwal
    Good luck Sharleen, fingers crossed for you

Jan
Privacy Policy