How much personal study?

brokenlogic18
brokenlogic18 Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi :)
I started the Level 3 Diploma four weeks ago with no background or experience in accounting. Despite this, I haven't struggled and am really enjoying the course!

I study part-time so go into college once a week for a 4-5 hour long class. First exams (AP1 and AP2) are in mid-December. I was just wondering, as well as the 4/5 hours I'm doing in college, how many additional hours a week (minimum) would people recommend I spend at home revising/studying and doing practice questions?

Comments

• janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi

I have just started level 3 at college.... 1 day a week for 6 hrs, 1.5 hrs Ethics, 1.5 hrs Spreadsheets and 3 hrs AP1... spreadsheet exam in about 5 wks.

We were told by our tutor, if you want to scrap through just do the college hours, if you want a chance at passing do the same amount of study at home, if you want to resit don't waste her time.. hehe

Good luck with it all

Jan
  • Carl168
    Carl168 Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi,

I'm four weeks into my course as well and doing it part time too with similar hours. We are doing AP1 and C&R with AP1 exam in Dec. I think at the end of the day its down to the person. If you are grasping the concepts and knowledge easily then you will need to do less work then someone who isn't.

As for how many hours you should do out of class.. probably at least 4hr a wk i say. I'm just doing the questions from the BPP text and question bank that we don't finish in class. I'm also making notes from the books as a way of trying to remember the material.

To be honest, i think i am doing more than i need to, as i'm not finding it difficult at all at the moment. I have a strong maths background and that is a big plus. I would say my T accounts aren't as strong but i'm doing ok.
  • brokenlogic18
    brokenlogic18 Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks for the replies!

That sounds like roughly what I'm doing. Considering at first I was doing about 2 hours a day, I feel pretty good now haha. I'll aim for roughly 5 hours a week. Do most people just do practice questions when they're studying?
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thanks for the replies!

That sounds like roughly what I'm doing. Considering at first I was doing about 2 hours a day, I feel pretty good now haha. I'll aim for roughly 5 hours a week. Do most people just do practice questions when they're studying?

I do practise questions, the online CBA's and read through my book. I also recap on my notes as reminders.

Five hours sounds good - I try to do approx 6 hours a week which includes any 'homework' from college (ie, work we didn't finish in class).

Good luck

Su
Privacy Policy