Volunteer work

JasonTurbo
JasonTurbo Registered Posts: 27 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Just wondered how many people on here had used volunteering as a base to gain more experience. I'm currently studying the Level 2 and intend to go all the way up to MAAT if possible. I work full time (not in accountancy) therefore I would like to gain valuable knowledge by volunteering my time and effort to anyone who will take me.

Anyone had a similar situation to me, or any advice on the subject will be well appreciated :)

Comments

• Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi, a couple of people I'm at college with (studying Level 3) did volunteer last year.Two of them worked at Oxfam who, or so I believe, are always looking for accounts volunteers. They seemed to enjoy it and said they learned a lot about working in an accounts environment. One of the girls actually got a permanent position thanks to her volunteer work!

There is a website just for voluntary positions: www.do-it.org.uk which I have heard a lot of good things about. Alternatively, just go into your nearest Oxfam shop and ask!

Good luck

Su
  • Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello Jason
    I agree with Sulew above, I volunteered for six months whilst doing my level 3, as I had no experience and this was the only way to get my foot in the door.
    Upon completing my level 3, I was offered a job, PT yes, but a job all the same.

I agree once your doing the work, you learn a lot.
    Like Sulew says try charity organisations, even if its only data entry. prove you can do the simple stuff well and then extend your responsibilities

Good Luck
  • JasonTurbo
    Thanks for the replies :) I have contacted a local charity which deals in finding volunteer placements around the local area so I will await their response and then take it from there.

Diddy - Whereabouts did you volunteer to if you don't mind me asking?
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Good luck Jason - let us know how you get on.

Su
  • Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Thanks for the replies :) I have contacted a local charity which deals in finding volunteer placements around the local area so I will await their response and then take it from there.

Diddy - Whereabouts did you volunteer to if you don't mind me asking?
    I worked for a community center as a treasurer for a while though the web site stated, I alos managed to get in with a lettings company. Started there p/t showing what i could do and they were happy enough with me to take me on.

I just put in my CV, i am willing to volunteer to show my skills at no cost to the company, or something like that.

Good Luck
  • mclma
    mclma Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Experience

Hey Jason,

I had your problem when i starting studying AAT. i used to work in hospitality as a manager and struggled to get an accounting job as i had no experience.
    all jobs expected at least one years office experience!

I dont know what you do now but i expect hopefully you would like to work in accoutning.

I joined an agency (Hays recruitment) and was offered a Temporary position as a Purchase Ledger Clerk within a day!

also some of my mates had them same promblem as you and they too found success with going to an agency. it all adds to experience whilst getting paid and hopefully the right employer will make you permanent and then your career can begin!!!

Good Luck!!
  • JasonTurbo
    mclma - Thanks for your advice, I'm not currently working in an accountancy role however at the moment I am very happy in my current job, and also very busy at the moment, which in these times of cutbacks is very good, maybe dare I say payrises and bonuses to come. I am looking at my AAT qualification more as long term progression from my now manual skilled work to something more office based but I'm definately taking the long view on this. However in the short term I would like to increase my experience of direct accountancy work. I will contact my local job agencies (of which there are many) and see if they can provide me with any advise about part time/volunteering work.
Privacy Policy