Distance learning or just buy the books?

Julietteb
Julietteb Registered Posts: 26 Epic contributor 🐘
Is it just me or is there not much difference between the two?

For level 2 I purchased the complete level as a distance learner (Kaplan). I have since purchased API and APII as a distance learner. But then i noticed how much cheaper it was just to buy the materials (£34 vs £125) and so for SSheets and PEAF I have just bought the materials. As far as I can see the only thing you dont get it tutor support which I have never used anyway. I did think I wouldnt get the on-line practise exams via Kaplan but I've noticed that you still do.

Just wondered if anyone else had tried this approach and if it worked for them? Its quite a big saving across the whole course.

Comments

• zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi There

I think a lot of people go down this route as like you they never use the tutor support anyway. I never did when I did Level 3, and even when I did e mail them, they would never answer my questions anyway! Wish I had just bought the books!

I think it will be harder to do it that way for level 4 though, as there's no one to help explain something if you're not sure. I opted to go to college for that level.
  • Julietteb
    Thanks for that.

I cant go to college as I work full-time and also I like doing it at my own pace and arranging the exams as and whenplus Im trying to do it asap and guess college will take longer!

I will consider doing it via distance learning for level 4 though depending on how well i get on with level 3.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hello Julietteb

I think you may find that you need to have a training provider for the SPSW (spreadsheets) module as this is assessed either by work based evidence or sitting a CBP rather than a CBA.

If you do a search on the forum you will find other posts which have discussed this. I think the same also applies to ICAS (The Project) when you reach level 4.

Best wishes.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Julietteb
    Ok thanks I will check it out
  • Sharleen
    Sharleen Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Juliette

I'm doing the exact same thing. I've tried the books from BPP, Kaplan and Osborne and now I'm sticking with Osborne (£14!). Then I book the exams with either BPP or Kaplan, whoever has the best date. At the moment I've got exams lined up with both.

It's only when you come to those ones Jo mentioned when you do have to pay more for a distance learning thing.

Good luck
  • Julietteb
    Good to know it's workin for you.

It seems to be a bit of an unknown quantity when it comes to the CBPs. Some people are saying you need to be with a provider and others reckon they have done them without. The next level 3 exam I'm going to book is the spreadsheet one so hopefully I should find out the answer.

God luck, how far are you along on level 3?
Privacy Policy