Distance Learning Providers

Hi,

I am looking into doing my Level 3 through distance learning as I cannot get to classroom based sessions easily.

I dont want to use Bpp as I used them for Level 2 and they messed me around massively with my exam dates.

I have gone off Home Learning College as I have heard bad reviews, Kaplan seem to have quite alot of errors in the books

Has anyone used Eagle or First Intuition and has any bad/good experiences?

Thanks
:-)

Comments

• zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I haven't used Eagle, but they seem to get rave reviews on here. Premier Training seem to get a lot of recommendations too.

I used Home Learning College ,and as you have already gathered, don't even think about it!
  • Sammmy88
    Sammmy88 Registered Posts: 283 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I am using Eagle! and So far I am very happy!! The material is excellent! The tutor support is good! I used Kaplan for Level 2 and wouldn't use them again!!
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

Awaiting to start CIMA :)
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Sammmy88 wrote: »
    I am using Eagle! and So far I am very happy!! The material is excellent! The tutor support is good! I used Kaplan for Level 2 and wouldn't use them again!!

I use eagle and they are good. Very friendly and supportive. The material is easy to use and the osborne books are probs the best I have used.
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    Yay I am so glad you have said that, I paid for it all, got it all and went to arrange my phone induction and the tutor could only do it between 9.30 - 3.30, I had a massive panic attack thinking I had gone with the wrong company as I can only do it in the evenings but Sonya assured me all the study materials were very good alot of students dont even use the telephone support- only emails.

Started last night, well chuffed I got a free highligher and the funky pen! :-D
  • Sammmy88
    Oh thats great news!!! :-)
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

• Clarekaye
    Sammy,
    What part are you currently up to?
    How do you find the support & general getting ready for the exams, have you failed any parts yet?

I did the BPP level 2 abc (like a fast track one) and it was soooo different to this, one book & one exam covering everything. The whole downside was the test exam online only ever told you if you passed or failed and never told you what parts you were not so good at.

Sorry for all the questions :-)
  • Sammmy88
    Clarekaye wrote: »
    Sammy,
    What part are you currently up to?
    How do you find the support & general getting ready for the exams, have you failed any parts yet?

I did the BPP level 2 abc (like a fast track one) and it was soooo different to this, one book & one exam covering everything. The whole downside was the test exam online only ever told you if you passed or failed and never told you what parts you were not so good at.

Sorry for all the questions :-)

Hiya!

I have done ap1 and ap2. I have my exam for costs and tax in the next few weeks. So far, touch wood I have found it ok.

It still never tells you which parts you have failed or passed in though!

How's it going for you?
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

• Clarekaye
    Does anyone know where I can get the templates for the Extended Trial Balances? It says osborne website but I cant find any :-(

Sammy, I have only got to section 7 in the Study Buddy, I am super confused with journals & suspense accounts but other than that seem to be going ok, my first assesment test has not been marked yet though.
    Its really alot more detailed than I did before but I am enjoying it still which is the main thing.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Clarekaye wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get the templates for the Extended Trial Balances? It says osborne website but I cant find any :-(

Sammy, I have only got to section 7 in the Study Buddy, I am super confused with journals & suspense accounts but other than that seem to be going ok, my first assesment test has not been marked yet though.
    Its really alot more detailed than I did before but I am enjoying it still which is the main thing.
    Hi Clare

I have had a look and can't find one, we got ours given by our tutor (who normally gets from Osbourne site) if you want to pm me your email address I am happy to foreward it on

Jan
  • Clarekaye
    Thanks Jan!
    Can you send it through here as a pm?
  • Clarekaye
    Oh wow thanks god I feel stupid not finding them now!

Yeah I am super stuck on journals & suspense but I think thats because how we do them at work is so so different. I am sure in time I will be on here begging for help.
    Other than that cant fault Eagle, mega confused about a page in the study buddy but all good thanks.

Really hoping to to the AP 1&2 exams before xmas so I can have some time off but we shall see. :-)
  • darrengadd1
    darrengadd1 Registered Posts: 18 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    AAT Level 3 Distance learning course...

Hi guys,

Could anyone advise me on where to start if im honest i am finding it hard to get into it all.

Any tips you lovely people?

Darren,
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Pick which unit seems the most interest to you, or which exam you had planned first and start on chapter one.

Usually if you got a provider, they hand you some form of schedule, which you can then adjust if you want.

If you already have some exams planned and worry about it, then go for the first one and see how much time you got and what you need to know for it and make a rough planning. If you then try to stick to it, you might find it helpful, if you find it all easy and fast, don't worry about the planning and just crack on with it.
  • ChrisatHomeLearning
    ChrisatHomeLearning Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Hello Clare.

I am the new Marketing Director at Home Learning College, brought in recently by the new owners of the business who bought it mid-2011.

I saw Zara’s response to your request, and whilst there may not be anything I can do relating to this old thread, it’s never too late to apologise and explain how we’ve taken on board this kind of feedback. In the past 12-18month since being under new ownership, we’ve completely transformed most aspects of the business, which is why we’ve kept our place as the largest distance learning provider of AAT courses. You can read recent independent reviews at places like trustpilot.co.uk. Our AAT exam pass rates also support this.

If you, or anyone else reading this post, have concerns and would like to speak to me personally, please email me at director@ homelearningcollege. com (without the spaces) or call me direct on 0I2I 722 5389. I will try and get back to you in person and certainly you’ll hear from us within 1 business day.

Yours sincerely
    Chris Simpson.
  • Clayy1990
    Clayy1990 Registered Posts: 35 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I wouldn't say that's entirely true. I signed up with the HLC in March '12 and found the salesman very pushy, the price quite high and the exam booking an absolute nightmare. I wish i'd just taken the level 2 with you but i'm tied in now with level 3 as well. The resources you have are good although i've personally ended up using the AAT green light a lot more than the HLC. I'll definitely be going elsewhere for my level 4!
  • Clarekaye
    As above really, the salesman was very pushy thats pretty much the main thing that put me off HLC.
    Hopefully they have sorted themselves out a little :001_smile:
  • Clayy1990
    Well the exams are stilll a shambles. They've just changed the structure of it and i booked up and ended up getting 2 blank email confirmations with no dates on them. I am assuming they've put me in for it! haha. I ended up booking one of my level 2 exams whilst i was at the test centre and missing HLC out all together
  • ChrisatHomeLearning
    ChrisatHomeLearning Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Dear Clayy1990

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sincerely sorry to hear that - in the last few months we have implemented a new exam booking system and have also introduced a more sophisticated admissions process. If you're willing to send me a note offline so I can identify you, I will ask our Student Services manager to take a personal interest in your future exam bookings.

Best regards,
    Chris.
  • Clayy1990
    No it's alright Chris i don't want any special treatment. I'm aiming to be done within 3 months anyway. Focus your energy on the newer candidates and getting the reputation turned around
  • Kris1990
    Kris1990 Registered Posts: 52 Epic contributor 🐘
    I'm currently studying AAT Level 3 with Home Learning College and I think they're great. There's the odd mistake in the books but I'm sure most/all distance learning providers have them. The materials & tutors can't be faulted. My only gripe is the exam booking system, it needs to be more flexible. There are certain times of the month I can't get off work (I work in management accounts) but I can only hope the exam isn't booked during this period. If we could choose a certain day or week to sit the exam it would make booking exams a lot easier with HLC.
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    HLC seem to get slated alot but its nice to hear that they are looking at improving; shame that there was other posters from other "providers" the other day saying that they had lost their license; sad that it was wrong info!

As a user of distnace learning I feel its a waste of time! You would be doing study out of the class anyway ad you tend to get help on this forum so feel the provider gets more than what you get. Also have had experiences with places that people think are rubbish - if only people knew.

Though its great hearing that HLC are looking to improve their processes!

Martin
Privacy Policy