Offered new contract on phone - advice required

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Folks

I have been offered a new 24 month deal on an HTC Wildfire S model - I will be charged £13.20 a month for 100 minutes talk time & unlimited text. This price also includes internet usage and insurance for the phone.

Does that sound like a good deal?

Thanks

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    The Wildfire S, while not as high-tech as other phones costing much more, is still a great value handset for Android entry and has fantastic build quality. 100 minutes is a bit low so if you could get them to increase these to 300 for £15 a month all in, including insurance (which usually costs around £6 a month by itself), I'd say it's a superb bargain...

Tech Radar review of Wildfire S: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-wildfire-s-930921/review
  • geek84
    Hi blobbyh

Thanks for your reply.

Does anybody else think it is a good deal that I am being offered?

Thank You.
  • geek84
    Hi Folks

Can anybody offer any further advice on this?

Thank You.
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    It depends on the service provider. This sounds like a three mobile deal, and their network is rubbish. I used them about three years ago, so it may have improved but it used to take hors sometimes for texts to come through, if they did at all.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Three network... mmmm.

If things are working okay with them, all's well and good. However, when things go wrong with Three, they go wrong badly. They use foreign call centres so it can be a complete nightmare and you often end up going round in circles, repeating the same fault to different call handlers. They can also be aggressively clueless with their sales pitches and fault diagnostics, making you equally aggressive back in return only for them to threaten to disconnect the call and put you back at square one.

Such fun...
  • geek84
    Hi folks

It is a T-mobile network. They are going to give me a call tomorrow to see if I want to take up their offer.

Please advice.

Thank You.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have T-mobile and they are great, if you are not in T-mobile signal it will automatically switch to Orange.

Their customer service is good too.
  • JaffasGirl
    Blimey, never heard of a company doing that! Lol is this an upgrade? Or is it not from t-mobile themselves?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It's because orange bought t mobile (or vice versa) so it switches at no extra cost - don't get orange wednesday unfortunately though
  • JaffasGirl
    Sorry, I meant I had never heard of a company calling you back to see if you will take up a deal. They are normally take it or leave it type things. I'm having to harass every phone store in my area to get my hands on an iPhone 4S. No where has any stock, and they can't reserve one even if they did. Oh the fun of Apple and their lack of deliveries.
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    What network is it on?

Be sure to check websites such as Quidco because they do good cashback/discounts on contracts. I got £100 paid straight into my bank when I first got a 12 month O2 contract, reduces the monthly cost greatly!

I currently got a HTC Sensation free for £26 a month on O2, 300 minutes, unlimited texts, 500MB internet usage (downgraded from 1GB for £4 less). Great network and a great phone, most attractive thing for me was the free handset at the time. All depends on use and preference really.
  • milton keynes taxi
    milton keynes taxi Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    When i was due to renew my contract rather than upgrade to another phone i asked can i have a laptop instead and i got given a toshiba satellite
  • geek84
    Hi milton keynes taxi

That sounds good !

I hope you don't mind me asking - How much do you pay for the contract? I pay £6 per month which includes unlimited texts and unlimited calls to UK landline phones, and 300 minutes calls to other mobiles.

When my contract was up for renewal, T mobile said they would only offer a new handset. When I asked for a laptop, the guy on the other line said something along the lines of 'Are you having a laugh'!!
Privacy Policy