Lost the motivation to study !

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi Folks

As some of you may already know, I am on the final stage of the AAT.

I am now having major problems in getting my head down to study - I just don't feel like studying anymore!!

In order to motivate myself, I do drink a few cups of coffee and even drink Red Bull! However, if I continuously have coffee, then I seem to develop a headache!

Another way I try to of motivate myself is by focussing on the end result - i.e. how I would feel when I have completed this course. However, even that does not seem to be enough motivation for me!

A few friends of mine suggested that I have a clean break from studying for a few weeks, and then go back to it after a few weeks. The only disadvantage I see in that is it would take me longer to complete the course (I want to complete this AAT as soon as possible!). Also, I have tried to have a break fron studying before, only to find that it was even harder for me to get back to study mode after the short break!

Do any of you have similar problems, or am I in the minority?

Thanks

Comments

• Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Geek,
    Sorry to hear you feel like this. I'm also doing my level 4 and findin the combonation of work and college hard going. So I know what you mean, at times I look at the books and find it hard to get started.
    I have my first exam in December, Financial Statements and have noticed the big leap from level 3.

Keep going Geek, once your done then take a well deserved break, I know I am.
    I dont know if you are ahead of me in the studdies, but if you need a studdy buddy to keep you going, PM me:-)
  • geek84
    Thanks for your words of encourgement, Diddy.
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Geek84, you are definitely not on your own i feel exactly the same!!! I had my business tax exam yesterday and am pretty sure i have failed, then i feel so deflated afterwards and think what is the point in carrying on, especially when i have studied and revised every evening, i lose the motivation. I have got FNST exam next month and really cant find the motivation to get back into it. I am really trying to think of the end result and how proud i will be when its complete! :)
  • geek84
    Becky

How do you keep yourself motivated?
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I just force myself to do it in the evenings, once i have the exam date set then i know i got to get my head in the books!!! Drinking coffee and eating chocolate helps!!
  • geek84
    Hi Folks

Thanks for your replies.

Anybody else got any further advice/help for me?

Thanks in advance.
  • Beautiful_bobo
    Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I know how you feel. My problem is I have other things that seem to take priority, unexpectedly I had to have a minor operation, work is very stressful and the risk of losing my job is high and my husband has not been in the best of health and is looking for work. So as much as I would like to put more into my studying I feel I take one step forward and four steps back...

Good luck to you...

Jennie
    x
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hiya,

Reading that post it sounds like me this time last year! I was about to sit my final two exams before qualifying and I felt like giving up. When I was on the forum I read so many other posts similar to how I felt. Keep going and force yourself to get motivated as the end is in sight. Think back to how hard you have worked and that you are not giving up now that was enough to push me and I am glad to say I passed both the Exams and am now fully AAT qualified.
    I think at this stage most people are in the same shoes as you! I can give you a KICK UP THE BUTT if that is what you need! lol

Good Luck
  • geek84
    Hi Jewels

Thanks for that bit of motivation.

If you don't mind me asking - are you carrying on your studies to do the acca or cima?

Thanks
  • jewels.p
    No. I have been made Company Secretary and am Accounts Manager already so the AAT is all I need in my job as I work in Industry and not in Practice.

The studying I did for the AAT was all done in my own time as I was doing it Distance Learning. Working Full-Time and studying for that was enough for me without going any further.

What are your plans now you are remotivated (I hope) ?
  • jewels.p
    Ah just read another post you want to go onto ACCA! Good Luck with that
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Geek.

The way that works for me is to set maybe 2 hours a couple of evenings a week, not too much! Just enough to get some intensive study done, I always worked harder and faster knowing it was a short revision period, with something to look forward to at the end, snack/ film?!

Then I'd work at weekends, but just the mornings, and that'd work in the same way, knowing I had the afternoon to live a normal happy life..
  • chuffer
    chuffer Registered Posts: 8 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi Geek,

I'm there too! only I'm just on level 3!

I think what everyone else is saying is good advice, I've just tried PGM's idea today and it has worked well. Obviously people are different. You've already got so far!!!!

The problem I have is that I'm doing AAT because I want to enter that field, I've always been told I'm good with numbers, but my job I have is nothing to do with accountancy, so my study is my only contact with them :-( that's difficult as I cannot relate to the work we're doing at college to the "real world".......

C
  • geek84
    Hi chuffer

I've always geen good at numbers and also told by other people. That is the one of the reasons why I am doing the AAT course. I want to go on to do the acca or cima, but it seems as though I am struggling with AAT!

Do you want to carry on with studying after AAT?
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi

I think at some stage we will all loose motivation, I have just started level 3 and finding it a lot more work than level 2, maybe because I knew most of level 2 but level 3 is all new to me, also we are studying 3 subjects together at the moment and also my work in my job has doubled. So sometimes I feel to tired to even pick up a book, but force myself. I had a really good session yesterday so hopefully that will put me back on track.

Maybe we all need a KICK UP THE BUM!

Jan
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

I think what everyone else is saying is good advice, I've just tried PGM's idea today and it has worked well. Obviously people are different. You've already got so far!!!!

Glad to help :)
    geek84 wrote: ยป
    Hi chuffer

I've always geen good at numbers and also told by other people. That is the one of the reasons why I am doing the AAT course. I want to go on to do the acca or cima, but it seems as though I am struggling with AAT!

Do you want to carry on with studying after AAT?

Being good at numbers only goes so far. I remember a guy with a maths degree on ACCA, he was good in some areas but in others it just didn't help at all, as accountancy principles don't always translate to formulas.

Would probably help a lot in some of the later modules which require the scientific calc!
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    I am in the same boat, sooo close to my first exam in the level 3 and really struggling to make any sense, and I am being far too stubborn to ask the tutors for help :-( I just want to sweep it all under the rug but I also want to stick with my original plan of getting it done before xmas so I can have a week off.

Also I work as an accounts manager but actually I think it would be easier for me to be in another job as they way we work (with our own internal programs) and different things the clients need/want makes it difficult sometimes to relate two things together.

Maybe try a few days off rather than weeks and just do things to totally take your mind off it and then see how you feel when you come back to it?
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    Did you find it? I'm looking for this 'motivation' too, I can't seem to find it!? Maybe you can let me know if you've seen it running around anywhere lately.

I'm doing level 4 Financial Statements at the moment, worked through the book and study buddy and just down to revision now... sounds like hardest part is over? No. Because I have to go back and read all the boring IAS's. It's so boring all these standards and written questions on them.

Doesn't help I'm not employed in accountancy either and having to split up what spare time I have after work with a) studying, or b) applying for better jobs. Amongst several other things I find vital e.g. cooking, exercising, redecorating, watching TV, playing games... uhhhh forget those last few.
  • clegganator
    clegganator Registered Posts: 184 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Just putting off my ICAS report as we speak. Why else would anyone come on the forum? ;-)
  • Hopeipassx
    Hopeipassx Registered Posts: 66 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi

I totally know how you feel, I too am in my final year (started in Sept Via college) and finding it so hard to get into. I was fine the 2 previous years. Ive got 2 exams at beginning of Jan and a draft copy of the ICAS project to hand in. But as people have previously mentioned just think of the end result and the fact of all the hard work put in previously wasnt for nothing. Roll on next June/July when all completed for me (providing I pass all exams)!!!! :)
  • Staci Lea
    Staci Lea Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Just keep going - i know what you mean, it does get tricky. Whenever i feel like im falling behind or not doing as much as i could be i just ask my personal tutor for a revised timetable to help get me back ont rack - i find this keeps me motivated. Good luck.

Staci - studying with Premier Training :)
  • geek84
    Hi Stacie

I'm studying with Premier Training too. I am on level 4 and studying the Financial Statements unit.

How about you?
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    Got some motivation back, a few more jobs to be hopeful about and few more volunteer positions opened up near me which is something to look forward to also.

Exam booked for January 11th, bit far away but gives me a lot of time I guess (must be a busy exam centre).

Biggest problem at the moment is looking for a cheap Freesat HD box so I can play the Japanese news channel in the background, studying just isn't the same without it.
Privacy Policy