Work funding study

Esme
Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
If you sign a contract at work saying you will pay back the cost of your study if you leave within a certain amount of time, does anyone know the rules on this? Ie, do you have to pay it in one lump sum, ie will they take your last wages or can you pay a certain amount per month?

Comments

• janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Where I work they take it from your last months pay,according to the study leave contract, but as I work for the payroll Manager he says each case would be looked at differently.

Jan
  • Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Esme,
    I would say it all depends on your employer.
    Some employers would want this money in one go. others, if left on good terms may consider for you to pay the money back bit by bit.
    Again, depends on amount to pay back & type of employer
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    There's no set rule, it depends exactly what it says in your contract.

Unless you've specifically consented to have it deducted from wages, they aren't allowed to do that. Not allowed and not doing it are two different things though.

If you end up in that situation, talk to your employer to get clarification.
  • Esme
    Thanks.

It doesn't specifically say in my contract but I'm sure they might try so I might get professional advice first.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

Some employers have a standard/general term in their contract that states any moneys owed to the company can be deducted from the final salary. This could apply regardless of what the "debt" relates to.

Neil
  • Esme
    Thank you.

So.... leading on from this....

How cheeky do you think it would be if I was offered a new job, bearing in mind that I would then owe my existing employer roughly £2,000 for the last year, to ask the new employer to pay this and possibly take half off my first year's salary?
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i think it depends on whether you are still studying the level that your previous employer has paid for. If it is a case of your previous employer has (for example) paid £2500 for level 2. Thats £500 per unit. you have completed two and now will be taking the other three exams with the new company. You could ask your old and new employers to apportion the cost, and you pay for the part you have already taken. Thats if your new company is providing study support. If this is for a level you have already completed, then i think thats too cheeky. Why should they pay your bills? you signed that contract not them.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

I think this depends on the company you are going too. I know some companies (particularly larger ones) may be prepared to pay the financial commitment you have to another company. A few years a go I saw an advert for Next, and they mentioned in the add that they would be prepared to consider this and a company I worked at a few years ago did the same for someone. This would be a case of now owing it to the new employer rather than them just paying it off for you!

Neil
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Maybe the way to approach it is

"I would really like to work for you. However, if I leave my current employer before DATE, then I'm going to have to refund £x with regards to my study, which would put me in a bit of difficulty financially. As I'm continuing to study and these studies will benefit you, would you be willing to consider any kind of assistance with this?"
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Totally agree with Monsoon here - I did that years ago and my new employer agreed to pay my old employer the outstanding amount. I thought that they would deduct it from my wages in the future but they very kindly agreed not to. shy bairns get nout & all that.
  • Esme
    Thanks guys.

I'm going in to chat to my potential future boss tomorrow so will put that to him. The job is better than I'm doing now and better prospects, however the funding they are offering for study isn't as good and also there is also the £2,000 I will be owing to my current employer, so will see what he says and have a think over the weekend.
Privacy Policy