If Monsoon was to write a book.....

Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
If I was to write a book (accountancy related, obviously), what would you want to see in it?

For those who don't know, I've worked for myself for over 7 years, starting off as a bookkeeper and I now run a high street accountancy practice with staff.

Writing a book has been mentioned a few times, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas (I have plenty of my own) and whether anyone would want to read it.

Comments

• uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I love biographies and I could read well written ones until the proverbial cows come home !

I think what interests me is someones story - not necessarily in terms of just the "how to" (although I am sure that is going to be a very interesting component) I like books that allow me to really get an insight in to the persons life and experience.

I'm imagining Erin Brocovitch here... I mean the actual human side of the story and the woman is just as important as what she actually did. (Does that make any sort of sense?)
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I would like to hear things like how you got started and the advantages and disadvantages of having your own business.

Jan
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    On these forums you keep hearing qualified people struggling with real world problems, that AAT, ACCA, ACA etc don't prepare them for.

I think a text book that prepares you for your builder, taxi driver, electrician, sandwich shop etc, problems to expect and how to deal with them. Dealing with HMRC and other legalities and contracts. Boxes of receipts, missing documents, awkward ex accountants.

All the stuff you learn in your first few years.
  • uknitty
    And also what PGM just said. Hah. What can I say - I'm demanding...
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    PGM wrote: ยป
    I think a text book... your builder, taxi driver, electrician, sandwich shop etc, problems... boxes of receipts, missing documents, awkward ex accountants.

Gripping stuff. Can't wait for the big screen movie but who would you have playing you, Miss Frost?
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Gripping stuff. Can't wait for the big screen movie but who would you have playing you, Miss Frost?

Maybe Angelina Jolie would play the role! Would be like Wall Street but with accountants, and calculators...
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    PGM wrote: ยป
    Wall Street but with accountants, and calculators...

Wall Street... hmmmmmm, one of the least exciting "exciting movies" ever made. Throw in more accountants and caculators into another screenplay and I'll be buying a one way flight to a Swiss clinic.

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" and "The Ides of March" were pretty shite too... just thought I'd share that.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Thanks all.

Uknitty, I'd not thought of a biography. I'm not sure I'm at all interesting enough for that! I was thinking more a practical book. However, thank you, it's nice to know someone would be interested! :-)

With that said I'm not sure there'd be any call for a movie of it, you know.

Anyway, back on topic please:

iareseriousl128652136632705685.jpg
  • uknitty
    OK maybe a full on biography wasn't quite what I meant . ( I know it was what I said, but anyway...)

I think that there are loads of texbook type books out there - the thought of a pure "instruction manual" type book leaves me a bit cold.

The sort of book I would be interested would be more about the journey that you are taking, and your thought and experiences along the way. So yes it would cover things like "setting up an office" , but I personally wouldn't want to read a general tick list of things to do - I would want to know about your experience, the challenges you faced and why you made the choices you did.

I know what I am trying to get at... but I am compeltely inarticulate today !
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I would love to read how you got started and what problems you ran into. Both in the work environment, but also at home. Basically the story of how you got your business started, the difficult moments where you wanted to give up and the things that went well and how you dealt with it.

It might not be fully practical, but it would be relevant to a lot of people.
  • Paisley
    Paisley Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor โญ
    I would be interested in reading it! ;)
  • Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I would, it would give me a good idea as to what I am getting into from your experiences.

If you are ever thinking of recruiting new staff, let me know!!! :D
  • KaelaH
    KaelaH Registered Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I think definitely write a book about the experiences of an accountant. I would love to read about experiences with different "types" of client, how you go about establishing a business for yourself, employing staff, how you've learned what you know about your charging policies etc.
    I love your blog, more of that in a book would be amazing!
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Monsoon,

I'd really like to know what drives you and how you felt at each stage of your career. Also where you thought you might be headed compared to where you are now and any key experiences that made you the accountant you are today.

Btw, bravo for going from book-keeper to running a practice, I'm in awe! :)
  • Melody87
    Melody87 Registered Posts: 44 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Sounds like interesting stuff, I would read it!
Privacy Policy