International Accounting Standards - an easy way to learn??? Help please!!

Starryeyes
Starryeyes Registered Posts: 24 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi

I am Studying the IASs, but not getting them to sink in, does anyone have any ideas how to learn them easier????

Ive tried writing them down, but still cant remember anything about them....Help please

thanks

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello Starryeyes

My suggestion is pretty much what you have already done. Write them down, read them over and over again and try to apply an example to each which may help you remember each of them.

Hope this helps and I'm sure other students will have suggestions too.

Good luck.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Clare Finch's book is highly recommended by many students studying the IAS's. It is full of acronyms and mind maps, and written in a very easy to understand way.

It will also help you if you decide to move onto ACCA at a later stage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Students-International-Financial-Reporting-Standards/dp/1847107087/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323644246&sr=1-1
  • Starryeyes
    Many thanks for the suggestions, the book sounds good.

Hope i can get my head round it.
    Im waiting or personal tax results they should be through before xmas.....i hope!
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    A Student's Guide to IAS is a fantastic book. I don't think I would have managed to pass my FNST exam without it.
  • freck59
    freck59 Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor โญ
    Clare Finch's book is highly recommended by many students studying the IAS's. It is full of acronyms and mind maps, and written in a very easy to understand way.

It will also help you if you decide to move onto ACCA at a later stage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Students-International-Financial-Reporting-Standards/dp/1847107087/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323644246&sr=1-1

Before I fork out yet more money for books - is this 'up to date' for our learning purposes? I'm just starting on my FNST studies and our tutor tells us there have been lots of changes in the last few years.
  • AshleyD
    AshleyD Registered Posts: 9 Regular contributor โญ
    Just reading your notes over and over again seems the best way. I did try recording myself reading my notes out loud then playing it while I slept, but it didn't help. The only thing I learned from that is that I need to speak more clearly.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi

Hang fire on Clare's book - I know that her the third edition comes out on 1 Jan 2012 so will be bang up to date!

All the best

Steve
  • Starryeyes
    Hi steve and all who replied.

Thanks for the heads up on the new book, i will wait til jan, its gonna be hard to study over xmas anyway!!
  • sampson
    sampson Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor โญ
    This is how I got it to sink in, I highlighted all the standards in the book and for the last few weeks leading up to the exam got my OH to look through the book and randomly ask me to describe the standard, for about 30 mins at a time, this seemed to work. You don't need to know them word for word, just try and remember key words in the text. In the end there was only one or two questions on this in exam. Good luck!
  • Luby
    Luby Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi im also looking at thes IAS standards and how many is there that are key to the exam as i believe there are lots but which ones are applicable to the exams?
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Luby - there should be a list of them all in your text book.
  • rvsbell
    rvsbell Registered Posts: 1
    There is no substitute other than to constantly refer the text given in the standard. I found the basis for conclusion especially very useful as it gives an insight into how the standards are developed in the first place. This perhaps will ensure that you get the big picture and understand the import of the requirements of each standard.

There are also free elearning websites that can help you understand the standard from another perspective. I have developed a e-leaning portal where you can get the courses for free. Please try out at http://learnindas.com/ This site is for Indian Accounting Standards which are almost the same as that of IFRS. A similar site for IFRS is also coming up at http://learnIFRSnow.com/ Please keep visiting and take the courses for free. Thanks.
Privacy Policy