Business Tax Cba 1

agg25
agg25 Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
Can anyone help me on the 1st business tax practice cba on the aat website i cant on seem to figure out where the answers come from on question 1.3

Thanks in advance
Adam

Comments

• Terdoo
    Terdoo Registered Posts: 144 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Re:Business Tax

Hi
    Task 1.3
    Have you figure out where they got the answers for cbt practice 1 buisness tax? I don't know where they got V1 Profit assessable 2009/2010 with £5290 and Russell assessable profit in 2010/11 of £4360,

Thanks in advance
  • AshleyD
    AshleyD Registered Posts: 9 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thank god I'm not the only one.
    Doing a little basic maths, as £9,480 was the most the partnership made in a year and as profits are split 50/50, the most a single partner could make is £4,740 isn't it?
    The question itself is a little ambiguous though, it just states their adjusted trading profits (I'm guessing for the partnership, not each partner, although based on my quick calculation above I'm not so sure) says about the profit assessment "for 2009/10". I assume it wants it for the tax year (April to April). Anyway, I've done it 3 times and never managed to get the same answers as them.

//Edit
    Right, I've worked it out.
    The profits for YE 31st October 2009 are assessed in 09/10 tax year (April 2010), so they've not been taxed yet. Vi's share is £4,500.
    She also has a share of 2 months of the profits from YE 31st October 2010. 2 months @ £395pm = £790
    Total: £5,290

Harry is straightforward. (Why couldn't they all be like Harry?)

Russell 09/10.
    Actual basis of assessment
    Profits from 1st Jan 2010 - 1st April 2010.
    3 months @ £395pm = £1,185

Russell 10/11
    Basis periods.
    1st Jan 2010 - 31st December 2010.
    10 months of YE Oct 2010 + 2 months of YE Oct 2011 = 10 x £395pm + 2 x £205pm = £4,360

Russell 11/12
    current year basis
    Half of the profits from YE 31st October 2011 (1st November 2010 - 31st October 2011)
    £2,460

Overlap profits:
    Months that have been assessed twice: 1st Jan 2010 - 1st April 2010 & 1st November 2010 - 31st December 2010
    3 months from YE 31st October 2010 = £1,185
    2 months from YE 31st October 2011 = £410
    Total: £1,595

It would have been so much easier if AAT would actually show their workings so we could see where we've gone wrong (or in some cases were they've gone wrong like in task 2.3 where they have 4,400 shares and sell 1,000 and somehow end up with 3,200) instead of just giving us a printscreen pasted into a word document.
  • Terdoo
    Thanks Ashley for task 1.3 Answers, I still have a problem with task 1.7 with 1/3/10 annual investment of £50000, I thought it was supposed to be £50000 divide by 3 month which is £12500 but in the answer, it was £15500 how many months did they work out? am totally lost and I got this exams next week.

Thanks in advance
  • AshleyD
    I have my exam tomorrow so I'm crossing my fingers I won't get any weird questions come up.
    I didn't understand that bit either at first, but looking at the answers and re-reading the Kaplan book led me to understand it as follows.

Before April 2010 AIA was capped at £50,000 for the year with a 40% FYA for qualifying additions above that amount instead of the normal 20% WDA. If the accounts period straddles 31st Mar 2010, then the AIA for purchases up to 31st Mar is capped at £50,000.
    One lot of machinery was bought before then, coming to £45,000, and one lot was bought after at a cost of £72,000. This gives a total of £117,000.
    As the accounting period is from 1st Jan 2010 to 31st Dec 2010, the total AIA available is 3 months @ £50,000/year and 9 months @ £100,000/year, which comes to £87,500.
    What they've done is apportion the AIA to the later purchase first, leaving £15,500 to apportion to the earlier one as this allows them to use the 40% FYA on the remainder instead of the 20% WDA.
  • Terdoo
    Business Tax

Good luck with the exams tomorow, I still don't know where the £15500 came from

Thanks
  • AshleyD
    What they did is work out the total AIA for the period (£87,500), and the total qualifying purchases (£117,000, of which £45,000 was bought before 1 Apr 2010 £72,000 was bought after 1 Apr 2010). Then they apportioned the AIA to the newest purchase (£72,000) first, leaving £15,500 to apportion against the older one.
  • Terdoo
    Business Tax

Thanks for that and how was the exams today like?
  • AshleyD
    Tricky. they seem to have done what they always do to me, in that they make the practice exams really straightforward then give you things you've never seen before in the real one. There were a few questions that were a little ambiguous, one that was phrased in a way I'd not seen before, and they mentioned PCTCT instead of TTP.
  • AAT Level 3
    AAT Level 3 Registered Posts: 75 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Ashley I am sitting this exam on Monday. Do you have any suggestions as to what sections the tricky parts arose in and anything in particular I should be careful with.

I know they say the questions are random in the exams in what you get but there seems to be some consistency in the ones that continually come up.
  • Daz1865
    Daz1865 Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    How did yours go Mr. AAT Level 3?

I actually found mine a little easier than the mock exams for a change, so was quite happy. I'm quietly confident but guess I will have to wait until the new year now to find out.

Merry Christmas to all.
  • AAT Level 3
    I found it easier than my mock but I believe I messed up the second half of the capital allowances question. Do you think I will still be able to pass despite this? I'm not sure how many marks are allocated to that question.
  • Terdoo
    Re: Business Tax

Making just one mistake cannot make you fail if you are confident with the rest, what question in the capital allowance that you messed up? I also sat business tax exam yesterday?
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I sat my business tax exam in October and was convinced i failed, because on section 2 i messed up an shares question and a couple of the multiple choice but i passed, so you never know until you get that result!! Good luck!
  • AAT Level 3
    Terdoo wrote: »
    Making just one mistake cannot make you fail if you are confident with the rest, what question in the capital allowance that you messed up? I also sat business tax exam yesterday?

There was a car that I put in a column on its own that should have been added to the general pool. However I still taxed this at the correct 20% WDA so technically my capital allowances balance should have been accurate.

However this also messed up the ceasation part of the question as I had three separate columns instead of 2.

I definetely got 1.1, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 correct not sure about 1.2. Oh well guess I have to wait and see.
  • AAT Level 3
    Becky V wrote: »
    I sat my business tax exam in October and was convinced i failed, because on section 2 i messed up an shares question and a couple of the multiple choice but i passed, so you never know until you get that result!! Good luck!

Thanks.
  • j1994
    j1994 Registered Posts: 106
    Can someone explain the 205 for Russell?
Privacy Policy