Cash Management

amyjayne27
amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi all,

Just wondered how people are getting on or have got on with this unit? I am finding it a bit dull to be honest, and I am lacking motivation! It just wont go in my head properly, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Amy,

I'm not doing this module until January however I've done the mock and it looks pretty simple and I can imagine it being rather dull since it is basic credit control and the cash cycle.

Maybe its because it is quite a wordy module? - I found this to be the case with PEAF.
    I hope it gets better for you, fingers crossed :)
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Took and passed the Cash Management cba today. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be but, yes, it is extremely dull - altho not as dull as Prof Ethics is going to be! I found it really helped to do as many past papers as I could find - things will suddenly fall into place for you. Mind you some things only fell into place for me last night! If you want any help let me know.

Su
  • Lee
    Lee Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor โญ
    Congrats on passing this subject. I have one topic thats really confuse me, that of time series. I am finding it difficult to find future focusts based on this historic information in particular where in they want me to calculate variances. how many question of this topic came in your exam?
  • Sulew17
    Lee wrote: ยป
    Congrats on passing this subject. I have one topic thats really confuse me, that of time series. I am finding it difficult to find future focusts based on this historic information in particular where in they want me to calculate variances. how many question of this topic came in your exam?

Hi Lee, I had one question on this but others taking the exam didn't! I think it's just luck whether you get one or not! Good luck with yours - when are you taking the exam?
  • Lee
    Lee Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor โญ
    I'm sitting for this exam in February

I'm really confused with chapter 4 of Bpp text book in particular pages 54 to 57. I'm really clueless. Can someone plz help to explain where the 9 increases are coming from. Why they deducted 2st ma from last multiply by the "9" months. Finally which figures are used to get the seasonal variations of +174, -170...
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello Lee

Are you using the 2011 edition of the BPP Cash Management text book? I have the 2010 edition and can't see this question/text on those pages - because I guess the book has been updated. I am wondering if it is the same as pages 48 - 50 - Time Series Analysis in Cash Budgeting.

Can you please post the full question that you are trying to understand... or is it more theory than an actual question?
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Tjcgti
    Tjcgti Registered Posts: 40 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi Lee,

What I really hate about these books is they just put figures there without really explaining them, how or why they are there.

I thought exactly the same as you. I thought it should be 10 changes in trend, not 9 as there are 10 figures.
    But its not 10 figures, its 9 CHANGES. So count between the lines of the trend and there are 9 CHANGES.
    If there was a figure for 'December' then it would be an extra 'change' so it would be divided by 10.
    Helps?

On page 49 again I thought where are these figures of +174, -170 etc seasonal varations coming from. If you read the top paragraph it does say 'The seasonal varation in each case is given below'. So I think they have just provided them just as an example to show you what they mean. In the exam you would probably have to use the formula to work them out. S=A-T and S=A/T

Hope this helps. Me exam is on Wednesday so revision is a must.
  • amyjayne27
    Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

I think it is just because its very wordy and I am finding it difficult to keep interested! I much prefer units which involve formulas, figures, numbers etc rather than lots of words!

Very annoyed I have to do Professional Ethics again, hated it when I did it the first time!

Booked cash management for Feb, hopefully I am not being optimistic as January is going to be crazy in the office!
  • Tjcgti
    If anyone is revising for this still I found some good online test papers that might help you on the CBA as doing paper based mocks are very different.

http://www.rtanet.com/osborne12/q1.asp
    http://www.rtanet.com/osborne18/q1.asp

The solutions are at the end so you have to go through each of questions.

Some trick questions in these. Read the questions carefully.....something I learnt.
    I have exam at 2.00. If I fail it will be because of the wordy parts of the exam.....as they are the boring part.

Enjoy!
  • Jo Clark
    How did your CBA go Tjcgti? All good I hope?
    Benjamin Franklin
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    I have been very interested to read this thread and others.

I am interested that there are a lot of exam candidates who appear to consider each exam in terms of the content and how to pass.
    I think this is a shift from a few years ago.

This subject is critical to corporate survival (as well as being stuff to learn for an exam).

If I am put into a position where I have to recruit accountancy staff in 2012, I would want to include cash management in the selection process. There are too many businesses going out of business at the moment, and in far too many cases they are going out of business because of poor cash management.

Please look at this unit as more than an exam to pass. This unit could give you a very real leg-up at an interview. It doesn't matter what your role is within an accounts department, you contribute towards the solvency of that organisation. Everybody in accounts needs to take action to assist the survival of the organisation, and that means that everybody's work includes cash management.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • amyjayne27
    Thanks for your reply Sandy your insight is much appreciated. You raise some good really good points, I will try and really get into this module and totally understand it, rather than just learning bits to pass.

Booked for February so fingers crossed!

Many thanks
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Best wishes amyjayne27

The Chichester College students will start cash management after spreadsheets, so we are about 3 months away at the moment.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Tjcgti
    How did your CBA go Tjcgti? All good I hope?

Hi Jo,

Yep I did pass. I actually did think I'd failed but got the majority correct so passed :)

People probably know this if they have done an exam recently but they have actually started to advise you on what you exceeded on, met, borderline and not met. It does help if you have failed then you can see what you are weak on to revise for next time.

Next! Acc prep...
  • Jo Clark
    Congratulations Tjcgti!

Enjoy AP1/2.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Sulew17
    Well done Tjcgti! Good luck with AP1 & 2 - we're not starting them til mid Feb as we're doing Ethics & Spreadsheets as soon as we go back. Am looking forward to AP though as I much prefer numbers to words and this is something that I need for the future.

Hope you had a good Christmas & have a happy new year.
Privacy Policy