Going self employed

Options
sarahuk3
sarahuk3 Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
Good Evening all,

I was just wondering if it is possible to register as self employed and take on book keeping work whilst still studying the AAT. I am currently on the technician level and work on my husbands books voluntarily.

If i can register self employed is there anything else i need to pay for other than insurance costs??

Thank you for any replies.

Sarah

Comments

• valentino46
    valentino46 Registered Posts: 124 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

You can register as self employed and undertake work to which you feel comfortable with, i registered 3 years ago and have advertised with friends and family working in a couple of small offices part time helping with the accounts. I have public indemnity insurance and the company was advetised on the AAT website, its well worth having just in case. Other than that your costs will be as imagined i suppose, if you want to advertise you can but must not associate yourself to the AAT on the advert as i believe you need to be a full member and a registered as a member in practice.

I suppose its all about feeling comfortable with the work you wish to do, there is some good advice on your myaat section..

Im sure youll have replies off more experienced also.

regards

rob
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, you can be self employed while as student member as long as you only take on work in which you're competent and don't refer to the AAT at all. Once you become a full member you have to register on the MIP scheme.

What will you need to pay?

1. Professional Indemnity Insurance
    2. Data Protection Registration (£35)
    3. HMRC MLR registration fee (£100 ish)

I can't think of anything else offhand.
  • totleyblade
    totleyblade Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I'd recommend going along to one of the AAT MIP introduction mornings if you possible can. Even if you are not planning to be a MIP just yet I'm sure it would be very worthwhile.
  • sarahuk3
    sarahuk3 Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you for all of your posts.

xx
Privacy Policy