What type of TV aerial to buy?

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Good Morning Folks

Happy new year to you all. I hopoe you enjoyed your Xmas break and didn't get too drunk!

I wanted some advice from all you friendly folks out there -

I am thinking of buying a widescreen TV for my bedroom (approx. 24 inch). However, I haven't bought a TV for a long time (approx. 15 years), so wanted some up to date information.

If I do go ahead and buy the TV, would I need to buy a separate aerial? I presume this would be called an internal aerial?

Also, wouldn't it be better if I get the lead from the external aerial (on top of the roof), and attach it to the back of the TV?

Thanks

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    With the advent of digital television and ongoing switching off of analogue, it's essential to receive a strong signal to your TV. Almost all sets now come with built in Freeview - and smaller ones often with a DVD function - so anything less than a decent signal and you won't be able to tune into certain channels - BBC 1, 2 & 3 (but not BBC4 for some reason) are particularly weak in my area - and/or the sound and picture will constantly break up.

You can buy internal aerials but you'd be best buying one with a built in signal booster and these generally also need their own power supply, so you'll either need two power points or use a multi socket. Search the Amazon reviews for a decent make - some are better than others - and see if you can buy them locally.

Nothing will beat the signal from a working rooftop aerial but it's a lot of faff and unless you're spectacularly brave and fancy doing it yourself - remember how Rod Hull died! - you're best paying a professional to run an extension to your bedroom. Many people also fit rooftop aerials in their lofts, attached to the rafters, so this would be a safer option if you fancy a bit of DIY.
  • geek84
    geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi blobbyH

Many thanks for your advice.

If anybody else has got something else to add, then please feel free.

Much appreciated.
  • jamieleeuk
    jamieleeuk Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Nothing much left to add tbh. What Rob said.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    blobbyh wrote: »
    With the advent of digital television and ongoing switching off of analogue, it's essential to receive a strong signal to your TV. Almost all sets now come with built in Freeview - and smaller ones often with a DVD function - so anything less than a decent signal and you won't be able to tune into certain channels - BBC 1, 2 & 3 (but not BBC4 for some reason) are particularly weak in my area - and/or the sound and picture will constantly break up.

You can buy internal aerials but you'd be best buying one with a built in signal booster and these generally also need their own power supply, so you'll either need two power points or use a multi socket. Search the Amazon reviews for a decent make - some are better than others - and see if you can buy them locally.

Nothing will beat the signal from a working rooftop aerial but it's a lot of faff and unless you're spectacularly brave and fancy doing it yourself - remember how Rod Hull died! - you're best paying a professional to run an extension to your bedroom. Many people also fit rooftop aerials in their lofts, attached to the rafters, so this would be a safer option if you fancy a bit of DIY.

I agree with the roof top aerial. I paid about £60 last year for one, and for the better reception there's no point getting an indoor one and booster.

I tried a booster and didn't seem to get any better quality.. Although last year I had a hill between me and the TV broadcasting aerial, but in the new house I can actually see it! :)
Privacy Policy