Trying to connect Nintendo DSi to internet with wireless connection

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Folks

I am trying to connect my daughter’s Nintendo DSi to the internet at home. I have a wireless connection which is provided by Virgin media.

However, every time I attempt to connect, the following 2 messages come up on the screens of the DSi –

On the top screen, the message says A security key is needed to connect to this access point.

The bottom screen says Unable to connect to the access point. Check that the correct security key has been entered. Error code 05111-1.

I am not very technical and it appears that there is something wrong with the security key. I don’t even know if my daughter entered the security key in the first place or where to get it from!

Can someone be kind enough to guide me into how to connect to the internet or provide me with a link which gives a step by step guide?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Is it the internet security key that comes from your wireless router? Often it's actually printed on the router
  • geek84
    Hi

Thanks for your reply. I will look underneath the router for the key code.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hello Geek

If you do not find the code underneath the router, it may be the code you set when creating your wireless network - making it a security enabled network.

When I set up my wireless router, I entered a keycode to make the network secure preventing unauthorised use. Because of this, friends and family need to enter the code I set into any device they may be using to access the internet.

Hope this helps.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • geek84
    Hi Jo

Yes, you may be right in that I may have set up a key code. However, what would you advice I do in case I have forgottem it !!

Thanks
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hmmm, good question!

You may need to contact your ISP or could try to set the network up again.

Luckily the security code on my router is one that is fairly easy to remember... that said we all have so many passwords and pin numbers to remember with access to systems at work and home and banking etc... some of them sometimes requiring more than one password/keycode and asking questions from a selection you set and to which you have to enter selected characters... I'm sure to forget one one day!

Let us know how you get on.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi

I had to reset my Dad's laptop after he had to have it wiped due to numorous *****'s, I had to contact TalkTalk who has the network as they can't tell you your key code due to encryption but they talked me through resetting it.

Jan
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    geek84 wrote: »
    Hi Jo

Yes, you may be right in that I may have set up a key code. However, what would you advice I do in case I have forgottem it !!

Thanks

You're probably using the default one, which will be printed on the router somewhere, (and also maybe on some virgin papework)

Did you have any luck finding it?
  • ABizzle
    ABizzle Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Hi there,

This link from the Nintendo website should help: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/index.jsp

Unfortunately you may have to access your router (via the pc that is plugged into it) to change settings, even if you are a non tech head, you should be able to do this, but if you are having trouble accessing the router you should contact you internet provider.

Good luck!
Privacy Policy