The duties of a treasurer?

Pearce161
Pearce161 Registered Posts: 57 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi i'm currently studying level 2 AAT and was struggling to find any work due to a lack of practical experience. I took the advice of some other threads and have been to see a local voluntary action group about some finance work. I've had a successful meeting this morning with a community foundation about a project i can work on which may lead to a paid position! Great stuff.
Ive also had a email for another local group asking if i would be interested in been their treasurer. I understand there will be some basic book keeping work which i'm comfortable with but was wondering what other duties a treasurer is responsible for? I would really like to take this role on as i feel it would look good on my cv and many people on here have mentioned it as the way they started. I just dont want to accept the role without fully understanding whats required.
Any advice would be greatly received

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I'd go and speak to them, get an idea of what they want. And what you want to agree to.

I'd imagine it involves all purchase, sales, cash received, bookkeeping. But it should be all small quantities.
  • Pearce161
    they have emailed me earlier and said basic book keeping and someone to prepare/ audit year end accounts.
    I havent done that but was wondering how difficult it is? Theres no wages so i imagine it will jus be a case of running costs and donations to account for. Really wanna do it but dont wanna take it on then let em down.
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    The title "Treasurer" usually implies the inclusion of an advisory role. The Treasurer normally attends meetings to advise/ensure that the decisions made, from a financial point of view, are intra vires, ethically and economically correct The Treasurer may or may not personally prepare the accounts but is responsible for ensuring that they have been prepared correctly.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    stevef wrote: Β»
    The title "Treasurer" usually implies the inclusion of an advisory role. The Treasurer normally attends meetings to advise/ensure that the decisions made, from a financial point of view, are intra vires, ethically and economically correct The Treasurer may or may not personally prepare the accounts but is responsible for ensuring that they have been prepared correctly.

And thats why you need to go see them, find out exactly what they're wanting. What records are available, if there's support from the outgoing treasurer.
  • Pearce161
    Thanks for the advice guys think it may be a bit out of my depth at the moment but will certainly go and see what they have to say and explain where abouts i'm at myself
Privacy Policy