To Defer Or Not To Defer?

Kirsty83
Kirsty83 Registered Posts: 57 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi guys!

As (some of you) will be aware, I have my Cost & Revenues exam coming up on the 8th February. It's the one exam that I'm actually dreading, after hearing all the feedback from everyone who has already sat it.

I feel like I don't really know all that much right now, and with 12 days to go, it's not a good sign. I do have a timetable prepared and plan to use this to be as productive as I can when I'm revising. Figured I would give myself a week to really study my butt off and hopefully by this time next week, I'll be feeling a lot more confident.

Right now I'm in two minds whether to sit it on the 8th OR to defer it.....hmmm?

I have THREE exams coming up at the end of March - my AP1 re-sit, AP2 (which I deferred) AND PEAF, I would hate to have C&R added to that list and be totally overwhelmed with sitting FOUR exams right after the other.

What is my best option??

ALL advice is much appreciated!!

Comments

• KaySarah
    KaySarah Registered Posts: 215 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Take a deep breath Kirsty and face your demons ... Feel the fear ... and do it anyway. I have left another msg on the Costs & Revenues thread (with the little red face) for you.
    I too didn't feel ready - but did not want to have to face it all over again when I knew I would have others looming.

You can revise the entire syllabus really well in 3 days IF you concentrate really well as you are doing it. Don't try and spread it over too long a period. I work Full Time and long hours - I'm not especially clever, and I passed it first time.
    Believe in yourself - don't set yourself up for defeat before you have begun. Just be doggedly determined THIS one won't be resat! and ... the very very best of luck.
    Kay
  • anisurrahman
    anisurrahman Registered Posts: 130 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Kirsty

Don't worry - you will be fine.

I passed Costs and Revenue on 25th Jan 2012.

I can confirm KaySarah's comment that you can revise the entire syllabus in three days.

During the exam all you have to do is 'RTFQ = Read the full question'

Good Luck

Ronnie
  • KaySarah
    Hi Kirsty

Don't worry - you will be fine.

I passed Costs and Revenue on 25th Jan 2012.

I can confirm KaySarah's comment that you can revise the entire syllabus in three days.

During the exam all you have to do is 'RTFQ = Read the full question'

Good Luck

Ronnie

Thank you Study Buddy .. You only remember that when I hit you with a book! lol
  • KaySarah

By the way - Lucky Ronnie had THREE Fulls days off (Paid Study Leave) to swot up for C&R .. I had to cram it in whenever I had the time lol .. but we have a great Class and freely help each other out by sharing our strengths. It's an awesome group :-)
  • anisurrahman
    By the way - Lucky Ronnie had THREE Fulls days off (Paid Study Leave) to swot up for C&R .. I had to cram it in whenever I had the time lol .. but we have a great Class and freely help each other out by sharing our strengths. It's an awesome group :-)

Not Study Leave though.... lol Love our group
  • anisurrahman

aww.. where is the 'LIKE' button... Super LIKE
  • Kirsty83
    Take a deep breath Kirsty and face your demons ... Feel the fear ... and do it anyway. I have left another msg on the Costs & Revenues thread (with the little red face) for you.
    I too didn't feel ready - but did not want to have to face it all over again when I knew I would have others looming.

You can revise the entire syllabus really well in 3 days IF you concentrate really well as you are doing it. Don't try and spread it over too long a period. I work Full Time and long hours - I'm not especially clever, and I passed it first time.
    Believe in yourself - don't set yourself up for defeat before you have begun. Just be doggedly determined THIS one won't be resat! and ... the very very best of luck.
    Kay

Thanks for the positive words hun! The fact that both you and Ronnie have said the syllabus in 3 days is definitely comforting.
    I've made up a little revision timetable, so I know what I'm aiming to do on which days over the next week. I've colour coded it according to the day of the week. It's stuck on my fridge and I aim to stick with it. I figured it would be worth writing up some sort of "plan".

That is the thing with me Kay - I don't always believe in myself and since I failed AP1 twice, I have lost abit of that intial confidence and I think that is probably why I'm not feeling confident with C&R. It's that fear of failing - of getting in that exam room, sititng the exam and getting that peice of paper with "not yet competent" written on it.
    I know I shouldn't be dwelling on it and I need to look forward and work harder to strive to achieve it. I know that if I pass this one, that is going to be a huge confidence booster and what I really need right now.
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Thanks for the positive words hun! The fact that both you and Ronnie have said the syllabus in 3 days is definitely comforting.
    I've made up a little revision timetable, so I know what I'm aiming to do on which days over the next week. I've colour coded it according to the day of the week. It's stuck on my fridge and I aim to stick with it. I figured it would be worth writing up some sort of "plan".

That is the thing with me Kay - I don't always believe in myself and since I failed AP1 twice, I have lost abit of that intial confidence and I think that is probably why I'm not feeling confident with C&R. It's that fear of failing - of getting in that exam room, sititng the exam and getting that peice of paper with "not yet competent" written on it.
    I know I shouldn't be dwelling on it and I need to look forward and work harder to strive to achieve it. I know that if I pass this one, that is going to be a huge confidence booster and what I really need right now.

Trust in yourself, if you were unable to do this course, you'd not have progressed past level 2 - I do this as well, I'm lucky as I have a well grounded fiancee with her feet on the ground to help me get my head straight in times of doubt ;)
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Well done both Kay and Ronnie

Don't anyone think they learned the course in 3 days.
    They deserved to pass and had been working hard from September
    What they did over 3 days was to revise what they already knew

Kirsty

The revision is key. Allocate breaks and work hard revising, beware of over planning. A basic plan is enough time for planning, and the remainder of the time is for study.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • KaySarah
    Oh No! I never meant to give the wrong impression! We certainly have been working hard since September AND we make sure we do our "Homework" every week to "cement (or concrete as Ronnie says) our knowledge. Sandy then spends a good hour going over all of it with us all to ensure we have clearly grasped the concepts before he moves on. Even the 3 days intense revision was not all the revision we did - this was only the immediately prior to exam revision. I know I also spent almost a week just after Christmas going through all the classwork again and Sandy took us through 2 in-depth class revision sessions. Sandy is also correct is saying don't overdo it too - the brain can only take so much at any one time and does need refreshing.
    In our case it was really good team work! A Fabulous tutor and a strong will to succeed.
    I really did not mean to imply it was easy at all - but it certainly is DO-able!
    Good Luck :-)
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Kirsty, whatever you do don't defer you can do it! Don't be put off by what I and others said about this exam - it certainly wasn't all doom and gloom! Since I passed it it couldn't have been that bad! Keep to your study plan, revise all formulas and I'm sure you'll be fine. Don't forget to revise FIFO, LIFO & AVCO as will certainly come up. Put some Alicia on, revise and you'll be fine.

If you defer it will be too much for you to do all four in March so don't. Any questions or help needed let me know.

Su x
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    If you defer it will be too much for you to do all four in March so don't.

I agree with what Su has said here Kirsty. Have you tried the Greenlight tests for Costs and Revenues as well as the Practice CBAs? I can highly recommend Greenlight! :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Sulew17
    I agree with what Su has said here Kirsty. Have you tried the Greenlight tests for Costs and Revenues as well as the Practice CBAs? I can highly recommend Greenlight! :

JC
    Thanks for that Jo! I'd also recommend trying the Osborne elearning tests - I found them very useful for both CRV & CMGT.
  • Kirsty83
    Kirsty, whatever you do don't defer you can do it! Don't be put off by what I and others said about this exam - it certainly wasn't all doom and gloom! Since I passed it it couldn't have been that bad! Keep to your study plan, revise all formulas and I'm sure you'll be fine. Don't forget to revise FIFO, LIFO & AVCO as will certainly come up. Put some Alicia on, revise and you'll be fine.

If you defer it will be too much for you to do all four in March so don't. Any questions or help needed let me know.

Su x

Thanks Su. I'm not deferring, as I don't want to take on too much at the end of March!!!

Me and the girls had a good study session yesterday and they helped me alot on the areas that I wasn't all that confident with. I did 3 hours worth of revision today, dedicated to learning the formula's and calculations. I got through 5 chapters and I've basically written all the formula's in a notebook, highlighted them and used different coloured pens to help me remember them abit better.
    I might do a couple of more chapters tonight, or I might just do it tomorrow and rest!!!

I am sticking to my timetable and I will start going through the practice papers/CBA after I have completed the chapters and understood all the methods!

Alicia is one of the best way to chill out and relax after a study session!!! Ahhh! :)

I will be in touch with you on Facebook before the exam!!!

x
  • Sulew17
    Sounds like you've got it covered Kirsty. Keep it up and good luck. Speak soon

xx
  • Kirsty83
    In spite of how much study I'm doing, I really am doubting myself with this exam.

I know it's not the right attitude to have, because as long as I'm negative about it, I won't do well. I need that confidence boost after AP1, and if I can pass C&R then it will be the boost that I really need!!
Privacy Policy