Director's remuneration

JodieR
JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
If someone's been employed by a company on a normal 'market rate' salary for a few years and is then appointed as a director but receives no additional remuneration (and still does their same regular job), do you still need to declare their salary as 'director's remuneration' in the accounts?

Comments

• hunterhouse
    hunterhouse Registered Posts: 17 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Jodie,

You may need to delve into the particular circumstances a little more but in the meantime wish to consider the following:

Q. When is a director not a director?

A. When they are not an officer of the company.

Good luck.

H
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    I guess even if his day to day tasks haven't changed, he's still now legally a director which confers added responsibilities on him and changes his role from being an employee of the company, to being an officer or agent of the shareholders as hunterhouse mentions, in which case I'd be inclined to reanalyse his pay to Dir's remuneration as you say.

If it's just a small company, though, it doesn't make too much difference really - it won't affect the tax and only the Abbreviated accounts will be filed at Companies House so nobody will see it anyway.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    To reiterate what hunterhouse has alluded to:

Is he a director in the sense he has been made an officer of the company, or has he been given a snazzy job title to make him seem more important (e.g. Director of Marketing Operations).

Yes for the former, no for the latter.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    To reiterate what hunterhouse has alluded to:

Is he a director in the sense he has been made an officer of the company, or has he been given a snazzy job title to make him seem more important (e.g. Director of Marketing Operations).

Yes for the former, no for the latter.

Stupid question, but whats the best way to check this?
  • jamesm96
    PGM wrote: »
    Stupid question, but whats the best way to check this?

Companies House WebCheck. If you click 'Order information on this company' then you should see a list of any recent appointments.
  • hunterhouse
    hunterhouse Registered Posts: 17 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    PGM,

Eventually Companies House will need to be informed of the appointment of a director but if this is pending then it is a sufficiently significant event to show in the minutes. The quickest way would be to ask the client...then ask again - to ensure their understanding of the situation is the same as your own.

H
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    jamesm96 wrote: »
    Companies House WebCheck. If you click 'Order information on this company' then you should see a list of any recent appointments.

Thanks, I've just tried that and they are all in there :)
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Thanks everyone. The director in question is an actual director registered with Co House. It's the same company i was asking about before - they're not-for -profit so have no shareholders. She's been the office manager since the beginning and was made a director when the previous director left as it made sense for her to be able to sign things off etc but it is a voluntary role so I can see why she doesn't think it's anyone's business to know her salary.
    The company is now registered as a charity so (after the hoops have been jumped through) there's no requirement to send corp tax return with full accounts to HMRC - I'll maybe have to check with charities commission to see if they require it on their copy.

And (thanks to KenS's reccomendation) I use Duedil now to check to see appointments & terminations of directors - it's simple to use and free too :)
  • jamesm96
    JodieR wrote: »
    And (thanks to KenS's reccomendation) I use Duedil now to check to see appointments & terminations of directors - it's simple to use and free too :)

I've never seen this before... that's awesome!
Privacy Policy